Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MisterMoot

Problems with Intellisense and Extern "C"

MisterMoot    122
I''m using Visual Studio .Net 2002 and I''m having problems getting Intellisense to recognise any functions defined with an extern "C" {} block in the d3dx9math.h header file. For example, D3DXMatrixPerspectiveLH() refuses to show any parameter info and claims the function is not defined if I right click and select ''go to definition''. Functions in the same file that are not defined inside extern "c" blocks work ok. I''ve searched Google and these forums, and have seen others mentioning the problem, but have not found a solution, other than to buy Visual Assist. I don''t really want to spend $80 on a product that does what Visual Studio should be doing in the first place. Does anyone know of a way of getting Intellisense to recognise functions defined like this? I''ve tried all the usual tricks of adding the header to my project, deleting the ncb file, etc., but to no avail.

unferth    127
quote:
Original post by brassfish89
Do you really NEED intellisense? Why don't you just look up the function definition in the DX reference that comes with the SDK.

Yes, everyone loves spending time looking up function information. Do you NEED an IDE? Why don't you just use the command line and manually type in the compile and linking information?

[edited by - unferth on September 1, 2003 12:56:32 PM]

brassfish89    122
quote:

Yes, everyone loves spending time looking up function information. Do you NEED an IDE? Why don''t you just use the command line and manually type in the compile and linking information?

So you''d rather spend money on some program that does it for you (Visual Assist) than take a minute and look up the function? Some poeple do do that. (I only know of one IDE for an asm compiler, and it''s in DOS) I wonder if they fixed that in .NET 03.

MisterMoot    122
quote:
Do you really NEED intellisense? Why don''t you just look up the function definition in the DX reference that comes with the SDK.

Because I decided I didn''t really NEED to be able to conveniently look up a function using the index and search of the SDK documentation. I thought, why don''t I just print the whole thing off, order the sheets of paper alphabetically, and manually look up a function whenever I need more information!

Come on, that''s a ridiculous question. Of course I don''t NEED intellisense, but it''s an extremely convenient feature that instantly gives me all the information I need in most cases, without interrupting the flow of my code or thoughts.

quote:
So you''d rather spend money on some program that does it for you (Visual Assist) than take a minute and look up the function? Some poeple do do that. (I only know of one IDE for an asm compiler, and it''s in DOS) I wonder if they fixed that in .NET 03.

The whole point of this thread is to ask if anyone knows of a way of getting Microsoft''s intellisense working properly, without having to resort to buying third party software.

Do you know how to fix it? If not, please refrain from posting.