• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sander

What card for GL_ARB_point_sprite

This topic is 5401 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
That''s what I thought as well, so I updated my drivers yesterday. I have 37 extensions available but the point sprite extension still doesn''t show. I need to now what card is the oldest one that supports this extension so I know the minimum system specs my lib would require (I don''t want them to be too high).

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

Even 45.23 don''t support them :
http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/viewreport.php?report=807

I don''t read ARB_point_sprite spec but if it''s similar to NV one you can take a look at http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/extsupport.php?extension=GL_NV_point_sprite

Jester, studient programmer
The Jester Home in French

ARB_point_sprite is a very recent extension. I''d expect the first OpenGL 1.5 drivers to support it in the near future.

In the meantime, I''d suggest using NV_point_sprite instead. Besides POINT_SPRITE_R_MODE_NV, it seems to be compatible with ARB_point_sprite (even the tokens have the same values).

ARB_point_sprite will probably not be exposed on anything below GeForce3/4, because chipsets prior to that did not have hardware point sprite support. A software emulation could be done, but that would be a little against the general OpenGL rule "if an extension is available, then it is hardware accelerated". This rule has already been broken a couple of times (vertex programs on GF2/GF4MX), so it''s basically upon nvidia and ATI, wether they implement a software codepath or not (and upon the ARB to certify it).

My GeForce3 Ti-500 handles GL_NV_point_sprite just fine. I haven''t updated my drivers in a little bit, but I would assume that if the latest and greatest drivers enumerate ARB_point_sprite that the behavior would be the same as GL_NV_point_sprite.

As I recall, the one thing that this extension didn''t implement on the GF3 was size attenuation. You still control the size of the sprite (max = 64) using glPointSize(). This attenuation feature has been implemented in the GF4s (not the MX).

All RadeOns + all cards supporting NV_point_sprite.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!