Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FiZZLe

C++

FiZZLe    122
Hey people, I''m a VB programmer, but I see in all these Forums that C++ has a lot more Features and so I''m trying to start programming in C++. How do I make a good start, I know buy a book, take a college, but after I did that... What are the first things to familier yourself a bit with C++. Thanks a lot... ----->FiZZLe<----- "A game is like christmas, you''ll never know what you''re gonna get"

hellz    356
Well, after buying a book and even possibly taking a class in it, you should be fairly familiar with at least the basic workings of the language. You should be sure to learn the standard libraries that accompany the language.

On the note of getting a book, make sure that which ever one you decide on, uses iostream and not iostream.h. That''s a good enough start right there.

As with any language though, practice makes perfect. If there''s a feature of the language that you don''t quite understand, put it into practice. Make little programs to make mistakes; it''s the best way to learn and be comfortable with the language in all situations.

Once you''ve got to the point where you have a good working knowledge of the language (variables, functions, pointers, classes, templates...), then it''s time to start putting them into practice in a real project. It doesn''t have to be anything too big, but make it complex enough to warrant using some of the features you''ve learnt about.

At this stage, it''s really up to you where you decide to take it. I mean, are you doing this for game development (I assume you are, but you didn''t mention that in your post...)? If so, then choose a graphics API to learn (DirectX, OpenGL, ...) and see what happens.

Get the language down first, and make the other choices after. It gives you less things to worry about then.

--hellz

FiZZLe    122
Thanks a lot.
Which Builder do you guys use...? I know Borlands C++ Builder.
Yeah, my final goal is to make (quit good) games.

----->FiZZLe<-----

"A game is like christmas, you'll never know what you're gonna get"

[edited by - FiZZLe on September 1, 2003 6:28:37 AM]

hellz    356
I''m actually using Visual C++ 6.0 at the moment, as I got it as part of my MCSD that I''m currently working through. However, Visual Studio .NET, is the latest version (7.0), and I''d imagine is the industry standard now.

However, these do come at a price, which is quite expensive if you''re just starting out. The Dev-C++ IDE is a good, and more importantly, free, alternative. It will be more than able to handle what you''re doing for the moment, and would be my recommendation if you don''t wish to splash out on a huge piece of software, when you''re starting out.

You can get Dev-C++ from http://www.bloodshed.net.

--hellz

FiZZLe    122
Visual Studio.Net 7.0 contains both VB.NET ánd a C++ compiler right?

---->FiZZLe<----

[edited by - FiZZLe on September 1, 2003 6:40:42 AM]

FiZZLe    122
How much do these packages cost? Is Visual C++ 7.0 ( or 6.0) also sold seperatly? I'll try out the Dev-C++

---->FiZZLe<-----

[edited by - FiZZLe on September 1, 2003 6:57:00 AM]

[edited by - FiZZLe on September 1, 2003 7:03:44 AM]

FiZZLe    122
C++ sure is a lot different then VB, where can I find the best C++ tutorials for a starting programmer like me??? Maybe there are some Dutch tutorials (I am Dutch) on some sites, but I can't find even a single one!

----->FiZZLe<-----

[edited by - FiZZLe on September 1, 2003 7:19:15 AM]

sSimontis    100
Okay. I use Dev-C++ right now. I have .NET 2003 Professional in the mail. I will use gcc with Red Hat Linux. I reccomend that you use C++ Primer or Thinking in C++, 2nd Edition, Volumes 1 and 2. You can download the latter online. Tutorial:
GameTutorials Learn from the sourcve code!
I will write one soon as an article to this site in a few parts. I should finish part 1 by the end of this month.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

FiZZLe    122
quote:
Original post by sSimontis
I have .NET 2003 Professional in the mail.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

What do you mean with this?

----->FiZZLe<-----

[edited by - FiZZLe on September 2, 2003 5:52:51 AM]

FiZZLe    122
I've done some tutorials, and I'm getting the hang of it, all guys thanks a lot for all of you're help. Only one question left: sSimontis, what do you mean with, "having .NET 2003 Professional in the mail"?

----->FiZZLe<-----

[edited by - FiZZLe on September 2, 2003 1:59:24 PM]

[edited by - FiZZLe on September 2, 2003 2:07:37 PM]