• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Job in the games industry

This topic is 5257 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I prepare an informatic diploma, I work hard to write 3D demos (that s what I like in games), I have no social life (especially since I known this forum ), I'm not very good in english, all that to have a job in the game industry. But is there job offers ? what are my chances ? If I have good skill in 3D programming, must I have concern ? Chuck. [edited by - Chuck3d on September 1, 2003 6:37:15 AM] [edited by - Chuck3d on September 1, 2003 6:38:12 AM] [edited by - Chuck3d on September 1, 2003 7:57:19 AM]

Advertisement

IME:

- Do some market research on companies you are interested in.
- Focus on companies that are in your location.
- University degree in computer science required in 90% of cases.
- Previous software dev experience very useful if not required
- Demos (as you mention) also very usefull as it is the only proof that you know how to make a game

IMO the best combination is CS degree + previous serious software work experience + demo + hardcore interest in games.

Game dev positions are almost the same as every other "niche" software dev job - except longer hours and lower pay (but its still alright ). But if you are qualified and have some patience, you will find one - so don''t give up.

Research! Start by signig up to gamasutra and looking for a job offer. Next, search the websites of your favorite companies. Here are a few sites:
Game Dev Search Engine This has some job offers.
Gas Powered GamesThey need a few guys.
Ensemble Studios needs programmers.
Work on a small demo of a game, and start hunting!

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

• Advertisement