Job in the games industry

Started by
2 comments, last by Chuck3d 20 years, 7 months ago
I prepare an informatic diploma, I work hard to write 3D demos (that s what I like in games), I have no social life (especially since I known this forum ), I'm not very good in english, all that to have a job in the game industry. But is there job offers ? what are my chances ? If I have good skill in 3D programming, must I have concern ? Chuck. [edited by - Chuck3d on September 1, 2003 6:37:15 AM] [edited by - Chuck3d on September 1, 2003 6:38:12 AM] [edited by - Chuck3d on September 1, 2003 7:57:19 AM]
!o)
Advertisement

IME:

- Do some market research on companies you are interested in.
- Focus on companies that are in your location.
- University degree in computer science required in 90% of cases.
- Previous software dev experience very useful if not required
- Demos (as you mention) also very usefull as it is the only proof that you know how to make a game

IMO the best combination is CS degree + previous serious software work experience + demo + hardcore interest in games.

Game dev positions are almost the same as every other "niche" software dev job - except longer hours and lower pay (but its still alright ). But if you are qualified and have some patience, you will find one - so don''t give up.
Research! Start by signig up to gamasutra and looking for a job offer. Next, search the websites of your favorite companies. Here are a few sites:
Game Dev Search Engine This has some job offers.
Gas Powered GamesThey need a few guys.
Ensemble Studios needs programmers.
Work on a small demo of a game, and start hunting!

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
Scott SimontisMy political blog
Thank you for your help

!o)
!o)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement