Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KuroKage

Start Learning DirectX From SDK Docs

KuroKage    103
Hi, I would just like to ask, now that I''m already passed the "Learn C++ First" state, can I start learning DirectX right straight from the SDK Documentations? Has anyone ever done this? Since I can''t buy TOTWGPG (w/c turns out to be the no.1 candidate for a beginner to game programming) cause Game Programming books are literally non-existent here in our country, and even if it is here, I''m really poor and can''t buy expensive books. So I would greatly appreciate any insight/advice about this idea of mine. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

sSimontis    100
You can probaly get the basics. Use the iunternet a lot to help you. Somewhere on the Microsoft site you can isgn up for the DirectX E-mail Group. This helps, I asked a few questions before I unsuscribed. I would reccomend NeXe, which really doesn't get updated, but has lots of helpful stuff. It is one of the member sites of gamedev. Also, Game Tutorials has DirectX tutorials, but I here they aren't that good. Their Windows tutorials aren't that good either.
EDIT: Fixed a grammar mistake

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

[edited by - ssimontis on September 1, 2003 8:56:05 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
great timing! this also was my question but i dont have a account. i have "tricks of the windows game programming gurus" but i have a hard time following it so im trying 2 decide whether to learn game programming in directx in the sdk docs but it seems that theres no more directdraw in the sdk only directx graphics. i guess ill lern that one then but i wonder if its
going to teach the math behind all that 3d stuffs or am i just going to be a copy and paste game programmer?