Which Language to Learn Visual C++ or Visual C#?

Started by
28 comments, last by BKStoltman 20 years, 7 months ago
Learning you a descent knowledge of the language, which i think is important.

No offence, but i see a lot of bad/ugly coding around this scene in C++. Many problems can be solved cleaner.

I also recommend the book "Exceptional C++", which shows some pitfalls. And ofcourse it''s successor.
Advertisement
quote:What job would that be? Curing insomnia?

LOL, how true. Seriously, that book is really bad (and not in a good way).
I''m sorry for being so arrogant. I actually don''t like people being arrogant. However, it is not always possible to _not_ be arrogant.

Why is that book bad? Do you have any arguments?

It is recommended by almost everyone on the C++ newsgroups, and so do I.
It contains the necessary info but it is just not very reader-friendly. Quite incoherent.
On first sight I had to agree, about the reader-friendly thing. But later on when you raed more you get used to the style and it gets quite acceptable.

Later I read another book, but found it rather irritating because it was not so clear as "The C++ Programming Language". It didn''t follow a logical path to teach you something. More books have this problem. And yes, I have read more then a couple of books...

Tho, for some people this book is indeed too heavy stuff (no offense).
Ummm, I''d just like to point out that Visual C++ and Visual C# aren''t languages. They''re IDEs...
quote:Original post by Luke Philpot
Ummm, I''d just like to point out that Visual C++ and Visual C# aren''t languages. They''re IDEs...

That''s debatable. Agreed, they''re not languages per se, but they''re not IDEs either. I''d say that they''re technologies for building solutions. The IDE is just called Visual Studio.

"Yeah, I would''ve killed you, but I''m glad I didn''t - the paperwork is a bitch"
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
I don''t think a much better job could be done of cramming the entire, large, complex language of C++ into one book like Stroustrup did. The book reflects the language.

It''s the official reference, it has to cover every nook and cranny.
quote:Original post by tortoise
I don''t understand why one would want to learn C# before Java. Unless you''ve got a very specific reason for needing .NET, Java is pretty much the same thing; except far more mature, far more used, diverse, not susceptible to the whims of one company, and runs on pretty much anything. There''s more to programming than Microsoft, kiddies

Why is C# better than Java? Well the main reason is that Java forms suck. I hate the stupid enforced layouts and I want to be able to have my form be as well-organized or as badly organized as I want. There is also the fact that Java is slower than C# by quite a bit when performing computationally intensive functions. Especially when for said computationally intensive functions in C# you can switch to asm or C++ and easily import them into your C# program, doing that in Java doesn''t work nearly as well.

Personally I''m a huge fan of C#, it makes writing programs much easier but gives you the flexibility you need to write most programs.
quote:Original post by HenryApe
quote:What job would that be? Curing insomnia?

LOL, how true. Seriously, that book is really bad (and not in a good way).

I don''t really think it''s bad - it''s just very, very dull.

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement