Which Language to Learn Visual C++ or Visual C#?

Started by
28 comments, last by BKStoltman 20 years, 7 months ago
I recently got my hands on Visual Studios .Net. I am a decent programmer in Visual basic, however the .NET version is way different. I want to learn a C language because most code examples out there are in C. But which C should I teach myself. Visual C++ or Visual C#. I plan to write simple windows applications, and perhaps eventually play with DirectX. But obviously I will start with the basics. So which shall I start with. Is C++ stronger but C# is less powerful but easy.
Advertisement
I would definitely say C#; especially if you want to do some simple Windows applications.

Chheck out Dr. GUI .NET on MS''s site. It''s a nice C#/VB/ASP .NET tutorial.

"Yeah, I would''ve killed you, but I''m glad I didn''t - the paperwork is a bitch"
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Learn them both.

Learn C# first then go backwards and learn some C++ as you play with DX. C# has managed DX libraries, but C++ is still a very marketable skill.

Oh and the other day during the summer my boss came to me and said, "did you know the average salary of a .NET developer is $100,000?!" All I could say is "wow!"; my intern salary didn''t really approach that and I was punching C# out. Maybe next summer.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
I would experiment. I have said this several times today. Look through both of them. Which has easier to read source code? Which seems easier to you? Whgich do you feel most comfortable with? I would say go with C++, but I want to experiment with C# when I get my copy.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
Scott SimontisMy political blog
I don''t really know what c# is about but i would reccomend thinking through what i would want to use the language for and see which one would be most applicable to what i want to do, if i want to go for graphics i may opt for c++ and opengl for example. (just an example i don''t know if you can use c# with opengl etc.)

--------------------
Though this program be madness, yet there is a method in''t
--------------------Though this program be madness, yet there is a method in't
Consider this, C/C++ are much more multiplatform than C#. It''s an MS brainchild, like DX, but I don''t think it''ll be the dominating language. Of course I tend to sway towards Linux/cross-platform and OGL so...pick what you want, but in the end you should learn both.
It''s a lot faster to create a simple windows app in C#... and almost as flexible (remember that you can DllImport anything that the framework doesn''t natively have).

The DirectX documentation for C# absolutely sucks... other than that it''s about the same amount of coding for DX in C++ or C#.

here''s your basic windows form in C#:

using System.Windows.Forms;class MyForm : Form{  static void Main()  {    Application.Run(new MyForm());  }    MyForm()  {     Text = "My First Form!";  }} 

In C++, you also have to define the whole window class structure, register it, and define a WndProc. Or you could use MFC and submit to the ways of the Dark Side(tm).
quote:Original post by Eskhan
just an example i don''t know if you can use c# with opengl etc.

csgl.sourceforge.net : I''ve only played with it but it looks nice. Actively developed and deemed "stable".

I don''t understand why one would want to learn C# before Java. Unless you''ve got a very specific reason for needing .NET, Java is pretty much the same thing; except far more mature, far more used, diverse, not susceptible to the whims of one company, and runs on pretty much anything. There''s more to programming than Microsoft, kiddies
quote: not susceptible to the whims of one company

HAH!

Not that I like Microsoft, but this made me laugh.
yeah Java is what I would go for because there is''nt much between C# and java.

Once you have java then C# will be very easy to learn.

Also you could go for small talk first and learn the program in oop(I did that and java was easy after that).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement