Best C++ compiler

Started by
12 comments, last by ehsen 20 years, 7 months ago
quote:Original post by rohde
quote:Original post by hammerstein_02
Err, you might be best of sticking with VB then. Visual C++ uses either Win32API or MFC and is very confusing when you have previously done something like Delphi or VB. It does have a kinda visual form designer, but there is a lot more coding required as far as I know. (I have always given up and gone back to delphi) I use Visual C++ for developing with DirectX so I don''t need all those properties and things.

Wrong. You can use the .NET framework with C++ and the VS.NET IDE.

"Yeah, I would''ve killed you, but I''m glad I didn''t - the paperwork is a bitch"

I''ve never played with .NET, but I''ve found MFC and Win32''s API to be very confusing. Prepare to meet the horror that is Hungarian notation... D8E
Advertisement
quote:Original post by sSimontis
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 is very hard to find, but if you find it, it should be cheaper than any of the other compilers you need to pay for. I am currently using it on one computer, and it is very good.

I wouldn't say that it is "very good" (regarding conformance), or at least it is not worth paying the money for it, considering the other compilers/IDEs currently available.

I would recommend Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003 if you have the money. As already mentioned, MinGW ("Minimalistic GNU for Windows" - a port of GCC) is very good, and Bloodshed provide a nice IDE. There are a number of good, free compilers, some of which have been mentioned. Have a look around on the Internet.

[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]

[edited by - Lektrix on September 1, 2003 6:54:43 PM]
[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || CUJ || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || [email=lektrix@barrysworld.com]E-Mail Me[/email] ]
quote:Original post by FtMonkey
If you have the $ then VC .NET if you don''t and want a good IDE and compiler Dev-C++...

VC++ .NET only costs about 100$, I don''t think that''s much for an IDE with compiler. But I still prefer mingw

"My basic needs in life are food, love and a C++ compiler"
[Project AlterNova] [Novanet]
[www.LifeIsDigital.net - My open source projects and articles.
For those of you who use Linux (I know, small audience :D ), I''ve found KDevelop to be a nice tool. As far as keeping track of objects goes, it keeps all your classes in a tree-view, making navigating to class declarations & methods & such very easy. Right now I''m using KDevelop 2.1.5 (the official stable version) though I''m thinking of test driving KDevelop 3.0 (in alpha) because I keep hearing good things about it.

KDevelop is really only a front end - it uses standard Unix/Linux tools including gcc, automake, autoconf, etc. to do the acutal compiling.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement