Max or Maya

Started by
6 comments, last by ehsen 20 years, 7 months ago
3d studio max and maya can both use for designing models for games. Actually i am learning maya and i am completely lost in it. The reason is simple there is not much reference material of maya available in my country atleast i did not find a single book of maya in my city. Available books(Two or three) are very costy. As compare to 3d studio max there are tons of books available at cheapest rates. Moreover i have found many video training CD''s of 3d studio max. 8 months before i have used 3d studio max and believe me after using 2 hours i have started creating my own models. Now you guys tell me are the both software equal in performance i mean the quality of graphics and of course nearest to the reality. And is it better for me to learn 3d studio max instead of maya. Ehsen
Ehsen
Advertisement
I believe it''s a matter of taste between these two programs.
Maya has more ''natural art'' feel to it, while 3ds max gives you precision modeling.
The results are directly comparable, especially now that (as of 6) max has Mental Ray integrated.

Think what you need...

Niko Suni

I want natural art.

Ehsen
Ehsen
I like using Maya. 3D Studio Max costs about $1,000 more. I would look online for some stuff. Maya has good help for me.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
Scott SimontisMy political blog
I meant the modeling is somewhat more natural in Maya, with native weight painting for modeling and such, compared to Max, where you have to almost move each vertex separately (an exaggeration ).

However, i like Max more, and incidentally bought it for our studio a couple of weeks ago. I like it because it does enable (imho) greater control of your models than Maya.

This is still a matter of taste though, as i said earlier.

Niko Suni

Questions like this make me laugh. We are talking about 2 pretty serious software packages here and this is not the first time that I have heard comments like "I like Max because there are cheaper books for it". How much does Maya or Max cost in your country?
The reference material of maya is the matter. I did not find too much reference material on maya in my country still i am searching. i try to find it on the internet but many websites guide how to desgin a dragon and human figure now tell me a newbie who does not know how to use its toos how can he design such things therefore i lost again and again in it.

Can you please tell me about a website which guide me completely i mean take my skill from beginner to advance.

Ehsen
Ehsen
Try the video tutorials on www.3dbuzz.com. You need to do a free registration but then can download some good videos.

I was not saying that it should be easy to learn either of these packages, I meant that if you afford to buy either Max or Maya then you would easily be able to afford whatever books are available in your country.

I actually work on Maya and I know that we offer many training materials online at www.alias.com

cheers.

PS.
I would recommend Maya over Max any day, not that I am biased or anything

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement