Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sevak

To BIG!!

/******************************* * CACULATOR *CREATOR:Sevak *DATE OF CREATION: 01/09/03 09:26 *DATE OF REVISON: - *FUNCTIONS: Add,Subtract,Multiply,Divide *REASON CREATED: To practice C++. *USAGE: Basic Math * ********************************/ /**Include Files**/ #include <iostream> #include <stdlib.h> /**Include Files**/ /*****Namespace****/ using namespace std; /*****Namespace****/ /***************Functions*******************/ float Add(float a,float b){return a+b;} float Subtract(float a,float b){return a-b;} float Divide(float a,float b){return a/b;} float Multiply(float a,float b){return a*b;} int Body() {//Begin Body //Body Variables short Choice; float number1,number2,result; //Body Variables while(1) {//Begin While loop 1 cout << "\n\t\t\t 4 function Caculator\n" << "\n1.Add\n2.Subtract\n3.Multiply\n4.Divide\n5.Exit" << "\nPlease choose what you want to do:"; cin >> Choice; switch(Choice) {//Begin Choice switch case 1: cout << "Enter first number to add: "; cin >> number1; cout << "Enter second number to add: "; cin >> number2; result = Add(number1,number2); cout << number1 << " + " << number2 << " = " << result << endl; break; case 2: cout << "Enter first number to Subtract: "; cin >> number1; cout << "Enter second number to Subtract: "; cin >> number2; result = Subtract(number1,number2); cout << number1 << " - " << number2 << " = " << result << endl; break; case 3: cout << "Enter first number to Mulitply: "; cin >> number1; cout << "Enter second number to Multiply: "; cin >> number2; result = Multiply(number1,number2); cout << number1 << " * " << number2 << " = " << result << endl; break; case 4: cout << "Enter first number to Divide: "; cin >> number1; cout << "Enter second number to Divide: "; cin >> number2; result = Divide(number1,number2); cout << number1 << " / " << number2 << " = " << result << endl; break; case 5: return 0; default: cout << "Error: Invalied Command\n"; break; }//End Choice switch }//End While loop 1 }//End Body /***************Functions*******************/ /***************Main*******************/ int main() {//Begin Main Body(); return 0; }//End Main /***************Main*******************/ This simple caculator program takes about 440kb. That seems pretty big. Im using DevC++. Is that normal?O ya and can someone tell me how to create one of those white boxes in a post so i can put my coding in it and it wont look so big.

Do you really need #include <stdlib.h> ? that will increase the size a bit, plus it should be cstdlib if it is needed

use [] tags with source and /source in them to add code.

[edited by - quant on September 1, 2003 3:38:55 PM]

You need to turn off 'Debug Output Generating' and in the 'Linker Command Line' (orsomething like it) you need to add '-s'. Read the DevCpp FAQs or search the DevCpp forums.

[...] Here it is: [...]

Project Options ->
Parameters ->
Linker ->
Add '-s'.

&

Project Options ->
Compiler ->
1) Linker -> Generate Debugging Information = No
2) Optimization = Yes
3) Optimization -> Best Optimization = Yes

Rebuild your project.

.lick

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on September 1, 2003 3:56:04 PM]

#including things you don''t need doesn''t increase code size.
Switching your namespace designations doesn''t increase code size.
And of course he''s using floats. It''s a calculator.

You just need to turn on optimizations and turn off debug output.

I like pie.

quote:
Original post by Pipo DeClown
You need to turn off ''Debug Output Generating'' and in the ''Linker Command Line'' (orsomething like it) you need to add ''-s''. Read the DevCpp FAQs or search the DevCpp forums.

Ill second that.
quote:
Original post by Pipo DeClown
Guys it''s about compile/linking optimization, not code optimization.

And that!.

It is easily possible to get small EXEs with Dev-C++, you just need to know how. Make sure you have Best Optimisation turned on, and Generate Debugging Information turned off. Then, add -s to the linker command-line paramaters. If that doesn''t give you small enough, get UPX and compress the executable. My tetris clone becomes <50k when using the above techniques.

One possible size optimization is to write the module prologue yourself, and not link to the c++ runtime libraries at all.
However, this is relatively difficult compared to other suggestions here.

[edited by - Nik02 on September 2, 2003 10:21:33 AM]

quote:
Original post by AikonIV
It is easily possible to get small EXEs with Dev-C++, you just need to know how. Make sure you have Best Optimisation turned on, and Generate Debugging Information turned off. Then, add -s to the linker command-line paramaters. If that doesn''t give you small enough, get UPX and compress the executable. My tetris clone becomes <50k when using the above techniques.

what does the -s option do? I''m looking to do the samething for my programs too but I''m using Borland''s compiler and I was wondering if there''s a similar option under that? I already have debug info turned off and have optimisation set to create smallest possible exe. But the resulting exe file is still well over 100k for a simple console program.

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}