Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

template

wxWindows

template    214
If I wrote a program with wxWindows while using Microsoft Windows and it worked fine will it work on Linux with GTK with very little or no code changed? And do the windows look like the windows created with the Win32 API (on Microsoft Windows) or do they look horrible and chunky like GTK?

Ali F    122
Cant say how much change it would need as I havent used it. But it''s cross platform so best case scenario would simply be a recompile.

Your second question however I can answer for sure. wxWindows creates the "windows" how they would naturally look on the native system. meaning that if used with MS Windows it would look like an MS Windows aspplication, and if used with a Mac it would look like a Mac application. platform familiarity

Leffe    301
If I wrote a program with wxWindows while using Microsoft Windows and it worked fine will it work on Linux with GTK with very little or no code changed?

You will most probably not have to change anything written using wxWindows library functions. Check their list of functions not supported on all platforms(AFAIK 90% are supported on all platforms, and rising).

look horrible and chunky like GTK

They will look like whatever that means.

[edited by - Leffe on September 1, 2003 7:01:10 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
There is wxGTK, which uses GTK in UNIX. That one, logically enough has a GTK look. There is also the old wxWindows which has a Motif look. Motif is rarely used these days though, at least on Linux.

Getting a GTK look in linux is a good thing! I don''t think many users would be amused by having an app that looks different from all their other apps.

And of course, wxWindows looks like a normal windows app in MS Windows.

Hopa that answers some of your questions.