FPS ?!

Started by
11 comments, last by bilsa 20 years, 7 months ago
Hello! Ok... I've been doing some Direct3D lately, and now I feel I'm ready to give OpenGL a chance and then decide which to go for. So, I checked out NeHe's tutorials and some projects there. But the dissapointment so far is actually stunning... In the codesnippets in tutorial 1-5 i'm not sure but I think I get about 20-25 fps and in tutorail 6 I prolly get less than that, since the cube is lagging its way in its orbit... So, now to be really sure if there is a problem with my drivers or if OpenGL is that stinky I'm asking you guys!? (I duobt it's OpenGL... otherwise you wouldn't stick to it right ?!?!) So... for eg, a textured and rotating cube with Direct3D gives me about 280 fps. But the same in the OpenGL lesson 6 gives me about 20 fps ?! Same goes for the "Textured Beam" example on the NeHe site. (that one almost crashes my system...) So... tell me it's a joke or something? (I haven't started with the coding yet... just downloaded some examples for inspiration...) My system: Duron 1ghz 384mb SDRAM 32mb GeForce2 GTS Win XP So could there be some sort of driver compatibility issue? Someone tell me it's a nightmare! (Otherwise the NeHe site is the most impressive resource on OpenGL... probabilly the most impressive on 3D ^^) [edited by - bilsa on September 1, 2003 5:21:18 PM]
Advertisement
Hello!

I got kind of the exact same problem. I started coding openGL some weeks ago. I''ve noticed that my fps is constant at 70 when running window mode and about 50 when using fullscreen.

At first I really didn''t care but now after trying all my code in Linux and saw that my fps was between 1000-1500 fps I figured somthing must be really wrong with my *something* in windowsXP.

My system is:
Athlon XP1600+
512MB DDR
64MB GeForce4 TI4200
WinXP Pro

Now I hope someone could give us a solution to this problem!!

(Excuse my bad english... from Sweden )
Hello again!!

Now I have found the soulution to at least my problem!!
I asked a friend who is a big time gamer :D and he gave me this link:

http://www.libsdl.org/pipermail/sdl/2001-September/038859.html

So uncheck the V-sync option and the fps is up at 1400 :D

I hope that is the soulution to your problem as well! good luck!
Also, the new ATI and nVidia drivers tend to choke on glHint(...) functions and fall back to softeware rendering. Try removing them from the tutorials and recompile. That should fix a lot of problems.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

i can''t find vsync in my settings... i have a geforce 4 mx420 and am running xp
I actually find that with vsync disabled its slightly more jerky because the frames that are actually displayed are not evenly spaced from each other. The only advantage disabling vsync does is allowing for faster/smoother input which I don''t think is nearly as important as smooth graphics.
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
vsync being disabled is a godsend. i can actually play games now on more than minimum settings yay
My fellow Americans I have just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever. Bombing will commence in five minutes.
Try changing your colour mode to 32bit or 16bit, your video card may act differently under each.
Actually... my problem is not with the vsync... since i dont even get 30 fps. I have an average of 6 fps in different kinds of demos that i have downloaded.

I will try reinstall my graphic cards drivers today... maybe that will help.

Note that I haven''t coded anything myself yet...
Try recompiling the exes and making sure that its set to Win32 - Release, not debug, debug is much slower!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement