Consumed traffic question.

Started by
7 comments, last by Raduprv 20 years, 7 months ago
Is there any way to see how much traffic a program consumed? I mean, not only the data itself, but also the TCP/IP headers, etc. Thanks in advance. Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
Advertisement
What do you mean by traffic?
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Network traffic (in MB).

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
*whistle* ... not that I know of without MASS trickery...

Packet sniffers only know what data is seen by the card, not by particular processes.

Performance counters likewise only keep track of each NIC.

hooking a process and snooping all up ons would perhaps give you the ports that it had open, at which point the packet sniffer could watch inbound data on those ports... (but I have no idea what you would do to determine open ports on a per-process basis)
Hmm...
Well, basically, I want to know how much traffic my mmorpg server generates.
It is also the only program on that machine that generates any traffic on the port 2000 (TCP).
One obvious way to count the generated traffic would be to just count the bytes in and out, on the server itself, but that would only give me the data trasferred, not the whole traffic itself (headers, retries, etc.)

You could run something like ''ntop'' and just monitor your MMORPG port. It even analyzes some packet info stats and presents it in a web page output.

Int.
Thank you very much for the ntop tip, I didn''t know there is such a command. I just hope it doesn''t need root access.

I can''t remember if it does, probably, since it can run promiscuous. Perhaps it won''t if you just want to listen to your incoming traffic. I think I always ran it as root. It''s essentially a network analyzer, and I think almost all of them will likely require or need root access to do their work.

If you have access to the network your machine is on, you could add to the physical layer with your MMORPG and gather the stats on a second machine?

Int.
Well, I do have root access on that machine, just that I don''t know the password (it''s the machine of a friend, and he did give me the root password once, but he changed it recently, and I forgot to ask him for it again).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement