What is 2''?

Started by
17 comments, last by Orikal 20 years, 7 months ago
What is big-Theta? What kind of course is this? Algorithms?
Advertisement
it could still be a typographical error. I''ve seen completely different superscripts on such things before.

Do you use your powers for good or for awesome?
|My site | Association of Computing Machinery

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

quote:Original post by Cedric
What is big-Theta? What kind of course is this? Algorithms?

So far, the course is an extension of discrete mathematics that uses mathematical proofs and graph theory to model automata that can inerpret languages described by respective grammars. Say that ten times fast.

We''re using An Introduction to Formal Languages and Automata by Peter Linz, which is where this weird 2" thing came from. I should have asked what it meant in class this morning, but I forgot.

Big-Theta and O (big-O) are functions that compare the growth rate of two functions. Ex. 2n = O (3n) basically means that 3n will always be larger than 2n for sufficiently large values of n .

And yes, one of big-Theta''s applications is analyzing the efficiency of algorithms.
I think it''s a superscript ''n'' with its top lopped off...just a guess...
The exercise appears to be on the distinction between O and Θ, so I''d be inclined to think it is 2n.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
yeah, 2" = 2 inches, 2'' = 2 foot

Along that completely out-of-context line:
2'''' may also mean 2 seconds, as in degrees-minutes-seconds.

Image loads when I''m online!The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.
Shameless promotion:
FreePop: The GPL Populous II clone.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
It''s gotta be 2n. After all, it is true that
2n == O(3n)but2n != BigTheta(3n) 
On the other hand it is also true if it is 211 or the second derivative of 2 (with respect to anything). We can however say that it isn''t inches or seconds of an arc because these are not real numbers!
Progress!
If the course is on formal languages it might be some weird string notation. All books I''ve seen use e.g. k* for k repeated 0 to n times where n is any natural number, but it''s possible your book has it''s own notation. That doesn''t make any sense given the context though, it doesn''t relate to big o or theta at all.
k* isn''t weird notation, it''s called Kleene closure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement