Bit of a newbie question :)

Started by
7 comments, last by SoulSkorpion 20 years, 7 months ago
Can OpenGL run without 3D hardware? I was wondering if it''s possible to run OpenGL apps on the machines at Uni, and I''m pretty sure they don''t have graphics cards in them.
-------------"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Advertisement
Most OpenGL implementations include a fallback software renderer. Obviously, the quality, feature support, and speed of the software renderer varies depending upon the implementation. The Windows implementation of OpenGL is all-around rather crappy, and the software renderer isn't any exception. Other OpenGL implementations that support software rendering, such as Mesa, do a much better job overall.

[edited by - Null and Void on September 2, 2003 5:12:33 AM]
Yes, it is possible. Windows comes with a software implementation of opengl 1.1. It is a LOT slower than hardware-accelerated openGL though...

edit - Looks like Null and void beat me to it... with a much more complete reply too

[edited by - marijnh on September 2, 2003 5:13:57 AM]
The Uni machines (well, the ones I''d be using) are all Linux. Anything special I need to know?
-------------"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Which WA Uni are you attending SoulSkorpion? UWA? Curtin? Edith Cowan? Murdoch?

Just wondering because I will be getting a CS degree at one of them soon...
quote:Original post by SoulSkorpion
The Uni machines (well, the ones I''d be using) are all Linux. Anything special I need to know?

If they''re setup properly (with Mesa) they should automatically attempt software emulation; not that it''s going to be as nice as hardware .

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Which WA Uni are you attending SoulSkorpion? UWA? Curtin? Edith Cowan? Murdoch?

Just wondering because I will be getting a CS degree at one of them soon...

First year Computer Science at Curtin

Thanks for the help, everyone.
Just to clarify, how slow are we talking in Windows? My app goes from ~90fps to 2fps (if the stars are aligned) in software mode. Is that drastic of a change normal?
quote:Original post by tortoise
Just to clarify, how slow are we talking in Windows? My app goes from ~90fps to 2fps (if the stars are aligned) in software mode. Is that drastic of a change normal?

Sure, it can be. If you avoid features that software renderers (and the hardware they rely on: primarly the CPU) are notably bad at handling (high frame buffer resolution, higher bit depths, blending, texture filtering, et cetera) it wouldn''t be quite as dramatic.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement