Files needed by DX8.0 when distrbuting ur code...

Started by
8 comments, last by Dark Star 20 years, 7 months ago
Hi guys, I am giving a couple of people a small game made in DirectX 8.0 and they do not have DirectX installed on their computer at all. I was wondering what dll files I need to supply with my program and if its ok to just put them in the same directory as the program itself? The files I have supplied so far are: d3d8.dll d3d8thk.dll d3d8d.dll dinput8.dll these files were all found using the Dependency Walker program on my executable file. But when I run the my program on a non Direct X machine I get the error message: "The procedure entry point DdEntry1 could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.dll " does this mean I have to supply my own version of GDI32.dll as maybe the non DX machine has not got this procedure or something? Any help is appreciated? Thanks (also please dont tell me I have to get the people to install direct X because I know for a fact that DX software can work without a DX runtime file installation...sorry but a few people have told me this before and I have run DX software without it needing to install DX on my comp....it must have come with all the right files) Dark Star UK (loves cross-posting)
---------------------------------------------You Only Live Once - Don't be afriad to take chances.
Advertisement
Stab in the dark...might need to edit some registry entries.
But...why not install DX?
CYer, Blitz
Not only will it likely not work, but you actually stand to mess up someones computer distributing individual DirectX DLLs like that. If users don''t have DirectX 8 let them install it from Microsoft, or get a licence to include a proper DirectX installation.
Ok then thanks alot for your suggestions, I guess Im gonna have to get the answer else where.

Thanks

Dark Star
UK
---------------------------------------------You Only Live Once - Don't be afriad to take chances.
Just wondering why you''d want to do this? If someone has a version of DirectX already you could end up messing up there settings.. If you want people to be able to run your game with out DirectX installed why write it in DirectX?

and my final question is, isn''t including the directX dll''s illegal unless you have permission to do so? its like your taking credit for that piece of code

Just curious thats all, just trying to get an understanding of why you''d want to do this

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
The DirectX SDK has a folder called redist which has the files you can include with your app. Just do a shellexecute to the installer exe or whatever.

Supposedly, the DirectX installer should be smart enough not to install over a new version.
Ok then,

The reasons are quite simple:

1) The people I am giving the SMALL game to DO NOT want to install direct x on their system for what ever reason I dont know.

2) About it being legal. I am not getting any financial gain from it. These people just want to play my small game and dont want to or CANT for whatever reason install DX on their system.

3) Lastly, I have been given a DirectX 7.0 game before, which came with all the files (dlls), and this was when I did not have DirectX on my system at all. If I did, well I did not have DX 7.0 anyways. And this game worked fine.

It''s no big deal, just wondering which files thats all. but It''s ok now. I got it working thanks.

Dark Star
UK
(Loves cross-posting because it works)
It''s simply not going to run then... A Direct X app won''t run without the DX libraries installed.
It''s ok now, Its running fine...thanks for help. My friend says he canplay the game without installing DX. Thanks everyone

Dark Star
UK
You don''t need a license to install the stuff in the Redist folder. That''s what it''s for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement