• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RipTorn

TruForm + VBO.

This topic is 5409 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think this is quite interesting... here are my results with TruForm/VBO, on a fairly high fill rate intensive scene (most pixels are drawn a good 6 times or so).. 30,000 triangle in the scene, so fairly low detail.. normal vertex array rendering, around 1 million triangles second (not good - ~30fps). VBO rendering, 2-3 million tris sec (much better, considering fill rate limit - ~70fps) TruForm rendering with vertex arrays, 8-15 million tris/sec (woot - slower frame rate though than VAs at around ~15-20fps) TruForm rendering with VBO, less than 1 million tris/sec, absolutly abysmal frame rate around 2fps. hmmm. anyone have any insight into this? I''m guessing it''s just a driver glitch... | - Project-X - On hold (kindof ).. - | - adDeath - | - email me - |

Advertisement
a 9500...

yeah. it's not a huge deal to me, I just found it surprising... So I've just left it to render with vertex arrays not VBO in the mean time (when usign truform)...

| - Project-X - On hold (kindof ).. - | - adDeath - | - email me - |

[edited by - RipTorn on September 2, 2003 11:16:26 PM]

iirc anything after the 8500 (9500/9700 and up) emulate truform via vertex shaders which makes them slower than the 8500 as that had dedicated hardware for it

As far as i remember, Truform in OpenGL is supported in software only in the current drivers. If you use a VBO to store your data in server-side memory, the CPU readback will completely kill your performance. That might explain why you got 2 fps when mixing Truform + VBOs.

Y.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!