Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BKStoltman

Is Visual C++ & Visual C++ .NET pretty much the same?

BKStoltman    100
In my past post which has remained near the top of the section asking what language to learn C++ Or C#. I have come to the conclusion that #1. I already know Visual Basic (Not .NET version) #2. C# is pretty much Visual Basic using C Code. #3. I have come to the conclusion that both these languages sound boring to me now. I have decided to Learn Visual C++ .NET I have Visual C++ .NET & I also have some books and tutorials for Visual C++ 6. Are these 2 languages close enough that pretty much everything in 6 will run flawless without fixing. Because I don''t know the language so if the samples in my books & tutorials don''t work I am not going to know how to fix it. Also Does anyone know of any Visual C++ .NET Tutorials. Thanks

rohde    432
With Visual C++ 6 you develop applications utilizing the MFC library (or ATL, WTL etc.)

With Visual C++ .NET you have the same options as with version 6 AND the added opportunity of using the .NET framework.

So when you say you want to learn Visual C++ .NET you need to be more specific on what actual path you want to take before I can suggest any tutorials. So MFC or .NET?

"Yeah, I would''ve killed you, but I''m glad I didn''t - the paperwork is a bitch"

rohde    432
quote:
Original post by BKStoltman
Well depends on which is more powerful. If it doesn't matter I guess Framework since its newer. But I am interested in learning both.

Ok then. Here's some info:

The .NET Framework.
Yes, the .NET Framework is newer - and MUCH nicer to work with than MFC. You can bet your money on that future web and app development for the Windows platform will utilize the .NET Framework (with some few exceptions, of course). Those few disadvantages that exist at the moment are temporarily entities. The CLR (which is necesarry for running .NET apps) will not only be included in future versions of windows but will exist in the kernel, which means that .NET apps will run just as fast (if not faster) than MFC apps.
Pros for .NET
  • Will most likely be the future for Windows programming
  • Will be a kernel product in future versions of Windows
  • MUCH nicer to use/learn than MFC et. al.
    Cons for .NET
  • Still new and needs work (espec. in the container department)
  • WinForms still need work.

MFC
    MFC is much messier, and more difficult to use than .NET. It's a very, very bad oop design with a mess of macros. Further MFC will probably some day soon be in maintenance mode only at Redmond. Of course, they will continues to support MFC for many years to come. But it will be a legacy product.
    Pros:
  • For the time being, MFC is still best at performace critical apps.
  • For the time being, MFC is still better at creating rich GUI apps.
    Cons:
  • Will most likely be used for legacy work only in the future
  • Bad bad oop design
  • Messier to work with than .NET, and much more complex. With .NET you get a big cut in development time (not to mention debugging time...WHOA).

Anyway, as you probably alread have figured out, I suggest that you go with .NET. But if you do I really advice you to use C# instead of C++. C++ .NET is ugly as hell with lost of "new" keywords. Managed C++ is a monster from hell - C# is MUCH nicer.

"Yeah, I would've killed you, but I'm glad I didn't - the paperwork is a bitch"

[edited by - rohde on September 2, 2003 7:26:18 AM]

[edited by - rohde on September 2, 2003 7:26:46 AM]

[edited by - rohde on September 2, 2003 7:27:45 AM]

BKStoltman    100
    I am hoping to eventually write a 2D Engine with DirectX. Do you still think I should use C#. If I''m going to go with C# wouldn''t it be just as good to just stick with VB, then, since I already know VB 6. I figured I''d go with C++ because everyone said it was better for those things.

rohde    432
    Well if your plans are to write a 2D engine, then yes stick with C++. Start by learning the C++ language and the C++ Standard Library. I can recommen Accelerated C++ by Moo and Koenig or C++ Primer by Lippman. Later on you can then learn either the .NET framework or MFC if you need to do some GUI apps.

"Yeah, I would've killed you, but I'm glad I didn't - the paperwork is a bitch"

[edited by - rohde on September 2, 2003 7:36:58 AM]

[edited by - rohde on September 2, 2003 7:37:37 AM]