Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alpha_ProgDes

It seems the game industry is wising up.

Alpha_ProgDes    6935
Those of us who complain about the lack of gameplay and the forcing of graphics down a player''s throat of 3D games may find this article to be a little easing on the brain. I wonder how long this trend picks up and we find games that stimulating the action and thinking of our brains, without giving us arthritis.

BlahMaster    122
Hey Alpha_ProgDes if you liked that article then you will probably like watching the actual video lecture, where Rubin talks about it. You can find it here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20030409/rubin_01.shtml

but you will need a membership at gamasutra.

EdR    117
Spot-on. Graphics do not, have not, and never will make a game. I''d rather play many SNES games (especially platformers, heh heh heh) than most "l33t 3d gamez!!!!!" Of course, many casual gamers are still drawn in to the pretty colors.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by MENTAL
it was even better being there in person

i''m slow cuz i don''t get it....

-Alpha

Some Guy    100
Too true, too true. Of course we all notice the different game genres doing well and doing badly at different times. (Whenever a new Windows OS comes out, you see more point-n-click adventure games for people who are getting used to their new toy, like Myst. Whenever a new cell-phone comes out with more colors, well of course you need a new Tetris. When a new Hideo Kojima title comes out, you need a bunch of stealth games to come out, and whenever you hear the words "Quake Four," you''ll soon hear "Half-Life Two.")

It''s clear what''s going on right now. There have been diverse audiences of people complaining for years that graphics don''t matter as much as they''re invested in. At the same time, newer and better game consoles have come out, and people have gotten sick and tired of the same old games. The audience expands, and the games do not. Cell phones have taken off tremendously all over the world, so what happened? You need games on those phones! Then there''s the Gameboy Advance, which is, as far as I know, Nintendo''s most successful hand-held. It outshined its partner-in-crime, the GameCube home console. So what happened? What''d we get on those phones and cartridges? 2D games.

So what might happen in the next five years is a breaking up of some companies you see around today. EA is one major suspect here. What you certainly see today is more and more young programmers coming out and deciding that graphics aren''t all they''re cracked up to be -- take, for instance, me.

Well, I''m tired. I hope I finished some thoughts, but I''m ready for bed. Hey, ya think I''ll be some analyst some day? Yeah I hope not too.

Alpha_ProgDes    6935
From what I''ve heard, Half-Life 2 is supposed to be the perfect or near-perfect blend of graphics and gameplay. And for the console, Metal Gear 3: Snake Eater. When those two games are released, maybe then we''ll see an upsurge in the next year of games with more satisfying gameplay.

Shudders for Halo 2...

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
The game industry will never change until we stop spending $50-$60 a pop on the trash that they turn out.

If you keep buying it, they''ll keep making it.

EdR    117
quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
From what I''ve heard, Half-Life 2 is supposed to be the perfect or near-perfect blend of graphics and gameplay.

Straight from the mouths of PR flacks.

Zido    122
Secret of Mana is another game that has good graphics and gameplay. It is a very good game and the graphics really helped. If graphics play in helping the gameplay, then good graphics are necessary, but if not, a designer should not try to get too concerned with graphics,I say. And yes, the game industry should up their gameplay because graphics are sometimes used as cover-ups for bad gameplay. Consider, DOA Volleyball. Personbally, I think they were just showing off the girls instead of volleyball and you can tell by how the girls fell ''gracefully'' on the ground after falling.

EdR    117
quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
So are saying that they are wrong?
Or are you taking a wait and see approach?

and just to clarify, i didn''t say HL2 was a near perfect/perfect blend of gameplay and graphics. i said "...I heard" it was.

Both. I really doubt HL2 is going to be anywhere near as good as people are saying it will be. Daikatana syndrome, minus John Romero.

Negitivefrags    100
It cant really suffer from Diakatana syndrome so much becuase they played it smart and didnt anouce it untill quite late. It was only a few months ago when it was anouced.

Unlike cirtain other sequals I can mention.

Seriously, they anouced Doom 3 so early that *already* peaple are getting sick of it, and they havent even played it yet. I here people going on all the time about D3''s graphics not being that good, but I think many would be singing a different tune if it had been anouced 2 months ago like HL2 was.

Martel    122
A lot of crappy movies are made every year. Cabin Fever, Freddy vs. Jason, Jeepers Creepers 2... tripe, but not to everyone. One man's tripe is another's bread and butter. Just like AP said: people buy it, so publishers pay developers (read: force developers) to make it. A lot of developers would like to make completely unique, completely innovative, so-fun-you-crap-yourself games... but that's just not realistic for several reasons.

It's easy to look at something with unrealized potential and say, "They could have done so much better." It's something entirely different to actually DO better. Not that it's too hard or whatever... but publishers want things and developers have to deliver. And I'm certainly not trying to say that people shouldn't critisise eachother... I think it's very important for people to say "this sucks". I'm just saying - it's not like "the game industry" got together and decided to make crap games (though sometimes I think the publishers did). It's just a bunch of people doing whatever they can to try and get closer to realizing the dream of creating a great game that people love. And it's not easy in any aspect - financially, psychologically, physically, or technically.

There can only be a few natural talents that were in the right place at the right time. Sid Meier, Ridley Scott, Shigeru Miamoto (sp?), Terry Gilliam... there can only be a handful by definition.

Anyway, just my 2 cents...

P.S. Just in case I wasn't clear - PUBLISHERS ARE EVIL Seriously, they are the ones to blame for the current state of the game industry. Just like the 70's... they took a budding industry and drove it straight into the ground trying to make money.

While part of me wants to say that may not have been what they meant to do... but I've met a few "business" people that make me think otherwise. People who will steal money from an struggling independent developer and then run off. Back stabbing mo... ok I'm done.

[edited by - Martel on September 8, 2003 6:03:32 AM]