It seems the game industry is wising up.

Started by
13 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 20 years, 7 months ago
So are saying that they are wrong?
Or are you taking a wait and see approach?

and just to clarify, i didn''t say HL2 was a near perfect/perfect blend of gameplay and graphics. i said "...I heard" it was.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Secret of Mana is another game that has good graphics and gameplay. It is a very good game and the graphics really helped. If graphics play in helping the gameplay, then good graphics are necessary, but if not, a designer should not try to get too concerned with graphics,I say. And yes, the game industry should up their gameplay because graphics are sometimes used as cover-ups for bad gameplay. Consider, DOA Volleyball. Personbally, I think they were just showing off the girls instead of volleyball and you can tell by how the girls fell ''gracefully'' on the ground after falling.
If you are reading this, then you are too attached to signatures!!
quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
So are saying that they are wrong?
Or are you taking a wait and see approach?

and just to clarify, i didn''t say HL2 was a near perfect/perfect blend of gameplay and graphics. i said "...I heard" it was.

Both. I really doubt HL2 is going to be anywhere near as good as people are saying it will be. Daikatana syndrome, minus John Romero.

http://edropple.com
It cant really suffer from Diakatana syndrome so much becuase they played it smart and didnt anouce it untill quite late. It was only a few months ago when it was anouced.

Unlike cirtain other sequals I can mention.

Seriously, they anouced Doom 3 so early that *already* peaple are getting sick of it, and they havent even played it yet. I here people going on all the time about D3''s graphics not being that good, but I think many would be singing a different tune if it had been anouced 2 months ago like HL2 was.
A lot of crappy movies are made every year. Cabin Fever, Freddy vs. Jason, Jeepers Creepers 2... tripe, but not to everyone. One man's tripe is another's bread and butter. Just like AP said: people buy it, so publishers pay developers (read: force developers) to make it. A lot of developers would like to make completely unique, completely innovative, so-fun-you-crap-yourself games... but that's just not realistic for several reasons.

It's easy to look at something with unrealized potential and say, "They could have done so much better." It's something entirely different to actually DO better. Not that it's too hard or whatever... but publishers want things and developers have to deliver. And I'm certainly not trying to say that people shouldn't critisise eachother... I think it's very important for people to say "this sucks". I'm just saying - it's not like "the game industry" got together and decided to make crap games (though sometimes I think the publishers did). It's just a bunch of people doing whatever they can to try and get closer to realizing the dream of creating a great game that people love. And it's not easy in any aspect - financially, psychologically, physically, or technically.

There can only be a few natural talents that were in the right place at the right time. Sid Meier, Ridley Scott, Shigeru Miamoto (sp?), Terry Gilliam... there can only be a handful by definition.

Anyway, just my 2 cents...

P.S. Just in case I wasn't clear - PUBLISHERS ARE EVIL Seriously, they are the ones to blame for the current state of the game industry. Just like the 70's... they took a budding industry and drove it straight into the ground trying to make money.

While part of me wants to say that may not have been what they meant to do... but I've met a few "business" people that make me think otherwise. People who will steal money from an struggling independent developer and then run off. Back stabbing mo... ok I'm done.

[edited by - Martel on September 8, 2003 6:03:32 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement