It seems the game industry is wising up.

Started by
13 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 20 years, 7 months ago
Those of us who complain about the lack of gameplay and the forcing of graphics down a player''s throat of 3D games may find this article to be a little easing on the brain. I wonder how long this trend picks up and we find games that stimulating the action and thinking of our brains, without giving us arthritis.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Hey Alpha_ProgDes if you liked that article then you will probably like watching the actual video lecture, where Rubin talks about it. You can find it here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20030409/rubin_01.shtml

but you will need a membership at gamasutra.
Hmmmm.........Yup!!!
Spot-on. Graphics do not, have not, and never will make a game. I''d rather play many SNES games (especially platformers, heh heh heh) than most "l33t 3d gamez!!!!!" Of course, many casual gamers are still drawn in to the pretty colors.
http://edropple.com
it was even better being there in person
quote:Original post by MENTAL
it was even better being there in person

i''m slow cuz i don''t get it....

-Alpha

He was there...
_______________________Dancing Monkey Studios
Too true, too true. Of course we all notice the different game genres doing well and doing badly at different times. (Whenever a new Windows OS comes out, you see more point-n-click adventure games for people who are getting used to their new toy, like Myst. Whenever a new cell-phone comes out with more colors, well of course you need a new Tetris. When a new Hideo Kojima title comes out, you need a bunch of stealth games to come out, and whenever you hear the words "Quake Four," you''ll soon hear "Half-Life Two.")

It''s clear what''s going on right now. There have been diverse audiences of people complaining for years that graphics don''t matter as much as they''re invested in. At the same time, newer and better game consoles have come out, and people have gotten sick and tired of the same old games. The audience expands, and the games do not. Cell phones have taken off tremendously all over the world, so what happened? You need games on those phones! Then there''s the Gameboy Advance, which is, as far as I know, Nintendo''s most successful hand-held. It outshined its partner-in-crime, the GameCube home console. So what happened? What''d we get on those phones and cartridges? 2D games.

So what might happen in the next five years is a breaking up of some companies you see around today. EA is one major suspect here. What you certainly see today is more and more young programmers coming out and deciding that graphics aren''t all they''re cracked up to be -- take, for instance, me.

Well, I''m tired. I hope I finished some thoughts, but I''m ready for bed. Hey, ya think I''ll be some analyst some day? Yeah I hope not too.
From what I''ve heard, Half-Life 2 is supposed to be the perfect or near-perfect blend of graphics and gameplay. And for the console, Metal Gear 3: Snake Eater. When those two games are released, maybe then we''ll see an upsurge in the next year of games with more satisfying gameplay.

Shudders for Halo 2...

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

The game industry will never change until we stop spending $50-$60 a pop on the trash that they turn out.

If you keep buying it, they''ll keep making it.
quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
From what I''ve heard, Half-Life 2 is supposed to be the perfect or near-perfect blend of graphics and gameplay.

Straight from the mouths of PR flacks.
http://edropple.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement