Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gamedever

2D game project: NEED HELP!

gamedever    122
Hi, its Mark again. I have some questions about this project I''m working on. I have one year to design and develop a 2D scrolling game similar to Mario. I need some help with it please. I would like to know information on the best language to use (I hope C++, because that''s the best language I learned), the best graphics program to use, and the best compiler please (I have Dev-C++ 4, and my budget is $0!). If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Mark (the GameDever) Mark Sumerix

hellz    356
Just an accidental double post I''d imagine. The site seemed to drop for about 30 seconds a few minutes ago, so perhaps that''s why.

No matter though, happens.

--hellz

Naku    151
What ever you''re most comfortable with. Personally I''d say:

Language : C/C++
Graphics Package : PSP/Photoshop
Compiler : VS6/.NET (a free version is available free (and legally) if you buy a book it comes with. Only an introductory version but better than Bloodshed''s IMO)

Tac-Tics    197
For best language, obviously C++. I like using C++ as if it were cleaner-C, but if you like classes, class on!

Best graphics... paint works if you''re looking cheap =-P I use PaintShop Pro 7.0. It''s excellent. If you''re looking for cheap & legal, try looking up GIMP for Win32 (though I''ve never used it, I''m sure it works well).

For best compiler. VC++ for windows, obviously. Best cheap & legal deal, though. Try to get a copy of Borland''s free commandline compiler (http://www.borland.com) and Textpad (http://www.textpad.com). It''s a DOS based compiler, but it can assemble windows programs fine. The only problem is it can be a bit hard to find on their website (it may be called BCC32). I remember I had to sign up to get it too. But it was free and it worked.

/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\
"You TK''ed my chicken!"
\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/

CaptainJester    523
If you know C++ then use it. The best language for the job can only include one you know or are willing to learn.

Dev-C++ works fine.

The Gimp is alright, but Paintshop Pro is better(cost you though)

You can also use Blender for your graphics. It is free and you can create still 2D screenshots from your 3D images. You will still need a 2D editor to clean up the stills.

Considering everything you can get for free, you get more than what you pay for because all this stuff is decent to good.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

"The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)

capn_midnight    1707
the gimp port for windows works quite well. there are only a few broken functions that haven''t been ported yet (and they aren''t used very often). Much better than the gimp port from even 2 years back.

However, even gimp on linux can''t compare to Photoshop 7. It''s really great.

This took half an hour in Photoshop 7, and mostly because I was still tring to figure out how to make the cloud cover look good.

Don''t forget, Java is pretty easy. Plus, instant cross platform capability. It''s pretty easy to go from C++ to Java (in fact, it''s almost a cake walk).

Use whatever compiler you want. You''ll be dealing mainly with different APIs, so the code is all the same anyway (i''ve never heard of windows code being different between multiple compilers, atleast).

MS Paint + MS Photo Editor are free, and can do *some* of the thing photoshop can do. On second thought, screw photo editor, it really sucks.

You will also need to decide on a graphics API, since I don''t think you want to rasterize everything on your own. Don''t ask which one to use, they are pretty much all the same. OpenGL has historically been easier to use than DirectX, though I have heard the DX9 is really easy to use. You could skip them both entirely and do SDL, or even windows GDI, since you are only doing a mario type game.

I suppose you will want sound as well. DirectX or SDL are your options, pretty much. There is also an OpenAL, but I haven''t heard much about it.

twix    636
quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
planet

Dude, how the hell do you do that kind of stuff? I can''t even draw with a pencil.

tortoise    122
quote:
Original post by Tac-Tics
Try to get a copy of Borland''s free commandline compiler (http://www.borland.com) and Textpad (http://www.textpad.com). It''s a DOS based compiler, but it can assemble windows programs fine. The only problem is it can be a bit hard to find on their website (it may be called BCC32). I remember I had to sign up to get it too. But it was free and it worked.

Yeesh, stop jumping through hoops and just grab mingw. Free both in speech and beer, and easily downloaded without the worries of spam filling your mailbox. (http://www.mingw.org/)

I''d also say Crimson Editor (http://www.crimsoneditor.com). It''s like Textpad except better and freeware not shareware.

glaskows    171
I feel pretty confortable with this:
compiling: gcc
graphics (2d): gimp
graphics (3d): just learning how to use blender (it's powerfull, but the interface sucks)
library (general): STL
library (graphics-audio-fonts): SDL

Stick with SDL if u r only developing 2d games... it's powerfull and really EASY to use (3d: SDL+OpenGL)

That's all...
BTW: they are all free

[edited by - glaskows on September 2, 2003 12:23:41 AM]

sSimontis    100
I would say GIMP or PSP for 2D art. Both are very good once you learn them. Microsoft Visual C++.NET Standard 2003 is my favorite compiler, but Dev-C++ works fine, and you can get it here. I would say Blender or Milkshape 3D for 3D art. I like using OpenGL for graphics, and am going to probably use SDL for sound and everything else.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

shawty    122
Depands on weather your a sado masicist or not...

But you could do what i did a long long time ago when i first started in game develoment, I wrote my own compiler and my own 3D designer and my own graphics and music packages.

BTW : Don't ask me to release them, they are old, horrible badly coded and written purely in msdos, they worked for me at the time though.

As for free software, definately blender for 3D stuff, though it is a bitch to use at first.

As for the gimp well all i can say is it's the dogs bollocks, and compilers well there's loads of them, but gcc and if your porting to mswin djgpp and or the newer windows equivs.

Personally now i use the following, although you do need a budget.

MS VC++ v6/MASM 5.x and/or Delphi 7/Kylix
Adobe Photoshop v6
3D Studio Max r4/r5
3D Exploration (By right hemisphere, for converting 3d formats)
ACDC v4 for image managment
Cakewalk Pro Audio v9 for Music Production
Soundforge v6 for Sound/Sample editing

And a handfull of my own custom tools.

[edited by - shawty on September 3, 2003 8:29:35 AM]

CaptainJester    523
The learning curve for Blender is no different than for any 3D package. It is a little steep at first, because there are SOOOO many options. Once you get used to the controls, it gets pretty easy.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

"The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)

CaptainJester    523
quote:
Original post by Stonicus
MilkShape 3D is an excellent modeling program. And it only costs $30 to register it. It blows Blender out of the water.

Hardly. The only advantage that Milkshape has over Blender is that it already has built in exporters otherwise Blender is far above Milkshape.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

Raptor85    180
why does he even need a 3d modeler for a 2d game???

compiler: Visual c++6 if you can, since you have no money Devc++ should be fine.
2d art: The Gimp definitely
API: Directx9 or opengl are both fine, it comes down to which one fits your style better. Personally i like directx for windows programming.

shawty    122
Firstly guys, let's not get into a slagging match here....

Blender has it's good points, milkshape has it's good points, none is better than one another they both have there own strengths and weaknesses.

now then, here's the way i see it, we're having a discussion about the best tools for a newbie... we've all been there, we've all tried the different ones, so let's tell people what we think about each product, and how we combine and use them.

For example, i occasionally use raw graphics, what i mean by this is 'Raw Pixel Data' no jpegs or bmps etc.

I find photoshop very usefull beacuse it's the only art software i use that allows me to work with raw pixel data, however i find that the conversion from jpeg to bmp is better handled by ACDC, why??? well to me ACDC has a better filter alogorithm on it's discreete cosine transform than photoshop does, normally photoshop rocks, but in this case there is a difference.

Result : i NEVER load jpegs directly into photoshop, i ALWAYS use ACDC to convert them first, then i work with them in photoshop, saving my work as a PSD and when done save them as raw.

Similalaly i use Sound forge for the same thing on raw sound data, beacuse it's the only sound app out of all of the one's i own that allows me to load and save 'RAW DATA'

There you go, strengths and weaknesses of 2 top apps, it's easy, some say my attitude is like that of an old Unix hack who's used to stringing lots of strange tools together at the command line to achive a simple task, personally i can see strengths and weaknesses in everything...

Besides...

There's allready too much arguing in the computer industry, i should know iv'e been here long enough!!!

Before i go, here's an idea, let's all pick ONE app and discuss it, with an emphisis towards where and how it can be used for beginners, then when we've exausted that say in about a month, we pick another app and do the same, that way we 1)build up a list of merits beginners can use for comparison and 2)continually build our own knowledge, as well as share ideas, then maybee perhaps we'll even be able to say to kinetix or who ever.... 'This is what we want a 3D package to do..', you get the idea...

L8tr

Shawty

[edited by - shawty on October 7, 2003 6:27:39 PM]

rico    122
Since you have a year and $0, and if you''re willing to take the challenge, you can try a ray tracer like POV-Ray for your graphics, check out this side-scroller game done in POVRay: Zwarte Piet. Or you can use the GIMP. I definitely recommend Dev-C++, and you also might wanna use STL(Standard Template Library) makes the job a lot easier imo. For the game library, I recommend SDL. Also for tiling stuff, you can use Tile Studio.

-----------------------------------------------------------

my cheesy card game project:

jack_1313    536
Hi. Here is my recomendations:

MSVC++ 6 - I know it''s not the latest but it works well enough for my
DirectX - most definatly go for this. The SDK is 250 megabytes so you''d wana hope you or one of your friends is on a cable conection.
MS Paint - I want to talk about this a bit, in the next paragraph
Rhino 3D

Ok, first MSVC++ is fully compatable and easy to setup with DirectX (both are Microsoft product, so natuarly they are designed for eachother), and the larger percentage of tutorials you will find on the web are based for MSVC++. MSVC++ allows easy access and managment of files, whereas Dev C++, to my knowlage, only allows you to edit one file at a time. And I wouldn''t know how to link all the files together.
MS Paint - ahhhh, good old Paint. I have Photoshop, but I would have to say that for 2D graphics it does not come close to the ease and simpleness of Paint. In Photoshop I can''t even edit pixels indiviually without creating new layes etc. Ms Paint is great, but only if you are willing to spend time to practice and learn to become a good pixel artist.
Rhino 3D - I have used Milkshape and Pov-ray but the do not come close.

But considering you have no money to spend... DevC++ may be about the best you can do. DirectX SDK is free and available from the Microsoft website. MS Paint is probably already on your computer. Rhino 3D is available for an evaluation version, but expires after 30 days. Milkshape and Pov-ray are free to download.

fencingone    122
What they said. I''m not ready to make a game like that but I came across this site its got some stuff that might intrest you.
http://www.gamemaking.com/

veni vidi vici
"Be excellent to Each other" Bill and Ted