2D game project: NEED HELP!

Started by
20 comments, last by gamedever 20 years, 6 months ago
Hi, its Mark again. I have some questions about this project I''m working on. I have one year to design and develop a 2D scrolling game similar to Mario. I need some help with it please. I would like to know information on the best language to use (I hope C++, because that''s the best language I learned), the best graphics program to use, and the best compiler please (I have Dev-C++ 4, and my budget is $0!). If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Mark (the GameDever) Mark Sumerix
Mark Sumerix
Advertisement
Why did you post this twice?

----->FiZZLe<-----

"A game is like christmas, you''ll never know what you''re gonna get"
----->FiZZLe<-----"A game is like christmas, you'll never know what you're gonna get"
Just an accidental double post I''d imagine. The site seemed to drop for about 30 seconds a few minutes ago, so perhaps that''s why.

No matter though, happens.

--hellz
You can delete it tough...

----->FiZZLe<-----

"A game is like christmas, you''ll never know what you''re gonna get"
----->FiZZLe<-----"A game is like christmas, you'll never know what you're gonna get"
What ever you''re most comfortable with. Personally I''d say:

Language : C/C++
Graphics Package : PSP/Photoshop
Compiler : VS6/.NET (a free version is available free (and legally) if you buy a book it comes with. Only an introductory version but better than Bloodshed''s IMO)
APE
For best language, obviously C++. I like using C++ as if it were cleaner-C, but if you like classes, class on!

Best graphics... paint works if you''re looking cheap =-P I use PaintShop Pro 7.0. It''s excellent. If you''re looking for cheap & legal, try looking up GIMP for Win32 (though I''ve never used it, I''m sure it works well).

For best compiler. VC++ for windows, obviously. Best cheap & legal deal, though. Try to get a copy of Borland''s free commandline compiler (http://www.borland.com) and Textpad (http://www.textpad.com). It''s a DOS based compiler, but it can assemble windows programs fine. The only problem is it can be a bit hard to find on their website (it may be called BCC32). I remember I had to sign up to get it too. But it was free and it worked.

/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\
"You TK''ed my chicken!"
\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/¯\_/
If you know C++ then use it. The best language for the job can only include one you know or are willing to learn.

Dev-C++ works fine.

The Gimp is alright, but Paintshop Pro is better(cost you though)

You can also use Blender for your graphics. It is free and you can create still 2D screenshots from your 3D images. You will still need a 2D editor to clean up the stills.

Considering everything you can get for free, you get more than what you pay for because all this stuff is decent to good.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

"The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
the gimp port for windows works quite well. there are only a few broken functions that haven''t been ported yet (and they aren''t used very often). Much better than the gimp port from even 2 years back.

However, even gimp on linux can''t compare to Photoshop 7. It''s really great.

This took half an hour in Photoshop 7, and mostly because I was still tring to figure out how to make the cloud cover look good.

Don''t forget, Java is pretty easy. Plus, instant cross platform capability. It''s pretty easy to go from C++ to Java (in fact, it''s almost a cake walk).

Use whatever compiler you want. You''ll be dealing mainly with different APIs, so the code is all the same anyway (i''ve never heard of windows code being different between multiple compilers, atleast).

MS Paint + MS Photo Editor are free, and can do *some* of the thing photoshop can do. On second thought, screw photo editor, it really sucks.

You will also need to decide on a graphics API, since I don''t think you want to rasterize everything on your own. Don''t ask which one to use, they are pretty much all the same. OpenGL has historically been easier to use than DirectX, though I have heard the DX9 is really easy to use. You could skip them both entirely and do SDL, or even windows GDI, since you are only doing a mario type game.

I suppose you will want sound as well. DirectX or SDL are your options, pretty much. There is also an OpenAL, but I haven''t heard much about it.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

quote:Original post by capn_midnight
planet

Dude, how the hell do you do that kind of stuff? I can''t even draw with a pencil.
hehe, Greg Martin told me.

Do you use your powers for good or for awesome?
|GYAH!!! | Association of Computing Machinery|

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement