Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie question

This topic is 5215 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Please tell me is animation and modelling are different fields i mean that one person learn one thing (animation or modelling) or CG professionals learn the both things. Ehsen

I''d imagine they would specialize in either modeling or animation, though many CG artists probably have good traditional skills, and could probably do either, if the need arose. It probably also depends on the complexity of the end product -- in the Final Fantasy movie, they probably had dedicated animators. This may or may not have been the case in a low poly video game, such as Quake.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Peon is correct that in most production houses that people specialize in one or the other but have experience in both. Rendering is a third one that is very specialized.

Hello ehsen,

As the others state there few main task in modeling or animation.
There the building of actual model, which needs to take in acount how it needs to be animated.
After the models done the next to steps are texturing and animation.
These can almost be done seperatly.
All require a lest some knowlegde of each other to be effective.
Then after the modeling, texture, and animation is done the how it will be setup in the sence (render) but this is not realy considered part of modeling/animation.

Most of the 3D modeling/texturing/render programs allow for all there to be done at lest to a real good preview level.

So if you are real good a modeling you don''t realy need to be good at animation or vise versa. And most of the tools are realy good now compare to when I last used them.

I orginal started out after college modeling and texturing, then animating, then programing for simulators/arcade. Not to bad for a AeroSpace Enginneer.

Lord Bart

I forgot this earlier but would also like to point out that from what I''ve seen, it takes considerable skill to create a model that is easy to animate. A modeler must at least have SOME animation knowledge to create a model that will deform correctly when animated. This comes into play especially when modelling the shoulders, elbows, and knees (if you''re modeling a humanoid)