Question.

Started by
4 comments, last by Kheteris 20 years, 7 months ago
Howdy. I''m an beginner programer and I would appreciate some help. I have just started my journey to become an OpenGL programmer (I''m only 15 so I got some time) and I have a bit of experience in programming in C++. Well anyways, I was folowing the tutorial, excellent by the way and I downloaded one of the pre-made programs(lesson 6). I ran the .exe and the box was cool and all and the tutorial said I should try loading one of my own images to be the design on the box. Well anyways, I open the .cpp and edit everything I need to edit to make the image something else, but here is where I run into a problem. The only way I know to change the .exe is to run the .cpp but whenever I do, I get a fatal error. Thus I can''t see the box with my own image. I added the "OpenGL32.lib GLu32.lib and GLaux.lib" Does anyone know what I''m doing wrong? Please help.
Advertisement
Hmm I have no idea what your problem is but if you just want to change the image just save it with the same name to the directory where the .exe file is (or where the image file is I dunno)...Oh and make sure is the right size by the way or you won't be able to see anything...

[edited by - FtMonkey on September 2, 2003 5:33:24 PM]
The monkeys are listening...
The compiler you are using probably puts the executable into some other folder that is different from the source file. In the case of Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, it would be in the Debug directory. If you move the .exe file to the directory of the .cpp file, it should be able to read the image fine. (I will be 15 in October and I entered the Two Towers contest.)
A bit ostentatious are some of us? . Anyway, to answer your question I''ll post a few possibilities of what you may be doing wrong. It is my experience that for NeHe lessons that the only way they can be compiled is if they are opened through the open workspace option (I am assuming you are using Visual C++). Compiling after opening up the c++ file only makes the program spaz out and give a fatal error. However, assuming it compiled ok, you may want to check to make sure you put the file in the data folder and that it is of type .bmp. Other than that, all should be well. Please tell me though if the program wont actually compile, in which case the problem probably lies with not opening up the workspace. Before I end this post I''d also like to say: 1. Have a happy journey, it will be long and probably frustrating when you try and learn the math behind the many operations that are used in 3d graphics (mostly the matrix transformations and vector math) and 2. I am 17, almost 18, and proud of it.
My fellow Americans I have just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever. Bombing will commence in five minutes.
Well actually I get the fatal error durring linking, not compiling.

Here''s what the error is... seems like jibberish to me.

--------------------Configuration: Lesson6 - Win32 Debug--------------------
Linking...
LIBCD.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main
Debug/Lesson6.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

Lesson6.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Got a new idea?

bmp is right size and in right folder
Make your project a win32 application and not a command line application.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement