Question about EXE Packers (ASPack / UPX / etc.)

Started by
3 comments, last by Xorcist 20 years ago
I was told such packers while decreasing the size of DLLs and Executables, actually increases the memory utilization of such programs by a factor of close to 2. Is this true?
Advertisement
Tools like UPX can increase the memory footprint because they need space to unpack the actual executable into. This amount of space is based on the uncompressed size of your EXE, not the memory utilization of your program.

Why don''t you try it and find out?

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
It also increases memory usage because Windows does not use the swap file to swap out code. It just discards the pages that are not used when necessary, and when they are needed again, they are loaded from the original exe file again.

When you use a compressor, this is obviously not possible. Therefore, the program needs to be resident constantly.

Compressing DLL files would be completely idiotic. It will require each program that uses the file in question to load its own instance of the DLL into memory, instead of sharing the memory. In effect, N times more memory would have to be used, where N would be the number of programs using the DLL.
i have a program(write in delphi) that protect by unknown protector
the header of file begins with "MZp"(common pe32 have MZ section)

and i use most common deprotector an decompreesor that i know
(deshrink,upx,unpack,,....)
pleas help what can i do?
another necro. closed.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement