software pixel shaders

Started by
33 comments, last by Uthman 20 years, 7 months ago
ive never done dx/d3d programming w/ pixel shaders, but i have a general idea of how they work. i ask this question without regards to speed or realtime ability- have any of you ever written/seen a pixel shading engine in software? I find it easier to use technologies when I know how they work from the inside out.
"a low level aho master like you couldn't kill me even if I let you"
Advertisement
I''ve only seen one software pixel shader implementation (although I''ve heard of several others), and that''s swShader. It''s open source on Source Forge. Unfortunately, it requires a Pentium 3 compatible processor.

Link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sw-shader
on the other hand, it renders faster than a gfFX 5200! :D at least, on this p4 2.8gig HT fsb800 :D

If that''s not the help you''re after then you''re going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

davepermen.net
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Really? Somehow i find that very hard to believe...
Same settings? texture filtering, screen resolution, etc?
not really... 2.4ghz @ 800fbs will easily rape the daughter of any geforce or ati card
I am finding this difficult to believe. Why would anyone buy a gfx card if software is faster. davepepermen: could you provide some performance comparisons for identical scenes?
of course, barely anyone has a p4 2.4, and that wouldn''t leave much for everything else a game needs. i wouldn''t imagine physics would go alongside that well.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
not really... 2.4ghz @ 800fbs will easily rape the daughter of any geforce or ati card

maybe it would supply a glorious display of hardware pronography, but it won''t be able to match the performance of a proper card under the same conditions.
Note that Davepermen only mentioned the FX 5200, not 5900.
If you do software rendering on the CPU you''ll need to do your physics and AI on the GPU.
well its usually cheaper just to buy 2 cpu''s than a new gfx card. plus that gives you extra niceness for other apps aswell..
anyway, this has made me rethink a project that i WAS going to start which focused on GPU hardware acceleration, but if optimized code can achieve similar performance now, than i probably wont bother...
I would really like to see a comparison, because on my system the software shader is significantly slower than hardware. I suppose it depends on the shaders complexity..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement