Is it worth the learning?

Started by
5 comments, last by tom2588 20 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I am considering which job I will go for when I'm older, I have two options really: Network Administrator - There will always be a job waiting for me in this department. Game Developer - Great fun and stimulating. Alot of learning. I can imagine myself learning all the languages needed to make games and then when it comes to me applying for a job, I will either be useless (New Type of Games) or the jobs will be fun, because there is always someone better than you. There is a lot of people on this, many who I would consider definate job material, but what about the rest of us. Is the gaming market that big? Also, What compilers do the best C++ Games Development books follow, because I don't have the cash to buy a Microsoft Compiler, I'm happy with Dev C++, do books follow that compiler? EDIT: Deleted salaries, I just think you get more from programming. [edited by - tom2588 on September 2, 2003 6:05:19 PM]
Advertisement
I think you''ve got those salaries mixed up.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
Do whatever you think is best for YOU. What will make you the happiest, something you enjoy doing, or something that will make you a lot of money. Perhaps the thing that will make you the happiest is also the thing that will make you the most money.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
Yea, IMO Game Dev would make me happiest but what if I don''t get that job in Neversoft/EA/UbiSoft etc. All those years of learning to waste.
Yup, game programming is for those who really love it if you want to go for the cash game programming isn''t the best. Though you can always be successful both ways if you try...
The monkeys are listening...
quote:Original post by tom2588
Yea, IMO Game Dev would make me happiest but what if I don''t get that job in Neversoft/EA/UbiSoft etc. All those years of learning to waste.

Unless you''re stupid, you should be able to learn more than ''just'' game programming.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
As far as the compilers, Most books you buy for C++ will include their own compiler if they are any count. I enjoy game programming ALOT but I have limited time like you due to school so its a hobbie of mine. Id suggust starting whenever your ready at whatever you enjoy the most. Theres no time like the present. Id say networking is easier than programming because I''ve did some minor networking with my dad (used to be a network administrator) and the stuff is less complicated than programming to me if that helps you with the choice any. If you were to get a job with one of those companies you were talking about for programming you probably wouldnt be making a whole game on your way by the way. They split the work up among several programmers. I hope this helped kindof?

-Trying to sound smart-
Check out:
www.digitalvigilante.com
www.crash.to/crashware
-Trying to sound smart-Check out:www.digitalvigilante.comwww.crash.to/crashware

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement