Wireframe Quads, not Tri's?

Started by
6 comments, last by SoaringTortoise 20 years, 7 months ago
Just briefly, is it possible to get DX to draw wire-frame, but instruct it to skip drawing a particular part of the tri? I have a wireframe toggle in my map editor, and all the diagonal lines make things a little confusing. I suppose I could use a line-list but... that''s a lot more work than just FillMode=WireFrame.
Always prey on the weak, the timid and the stupid. Otherwise you'll just get your butt kicked
For a tortoise, this is extremely hard to do, but when you get it right... the expression on their faces ...
Advertisement
If you want to render wireframe quads, your models must be composed of quads. Then you can have two custom calls. The one to draw regular quads would try triangles while the line one would generate a line list.

---
Brent Gunning | My Site
No...there is a thing you can set so it renders everything with lines. I''m not sure what it is though.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
quote:Original post by Raloth
No...there is a thing you can set so it renders everything with lines. I''m not sure what it is though.

Right. It''s SetRenderState(D3DRS_FILLMODE, D3DFILL_WIREFRAME). But because Direct3D does not have native support for quads, rendering quads would turn out to be rendering two tris, which would have the diagonal.

---
Brent Gunning | My Site
You could use a texture that''s basically just a box. Then when you render normally it will look like "wireframes" of quads.
Uhhhhh! Thanks AP. Dunno how I missed that one. Just have to render it twice... once with the normal texture and then once with the quad texture. Doesn''t help so much with the meshes, but it''s a start.
Always prey on the weak, the timid and the stupid. Otherwise you'll just get your butt kicked
For a tortoise, this is extremely hard to do, but when you get it right... the expression on their faces ...
What about a linestrip?

.lick
OK, but with a line-strip you''d still get the diags, unless you create a seperate buffer to hold the line strip data.

This is really quite a minor bit of functionality, only visible to the map editors anyway so I''m not really willing to put in huge amounts of effort.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement