3D Topographical maps

Started by
9 comments, last by Saxxon 20 years, 7 months ago
Can anyone point up sources for 3D topo maps, the more detailed the better. And if possible what tools or game engines woiuld support importation of them for use as terrain. IE, for an example not reflecting actual use, the Front Range of Colorado as you would want it to be for a wild west shooter. You want those box canyons with walls so steep only techinical climbers could get out, and grades that you can define are walk/climb only, and grades you would ride a horse on. I''ve seena few, but nothing great yet. I suppose some universities or USGS might have some as 3D files by now. Any directions are appreciated.
Advertisement
You''ll probably want to do a Google search for DEM (digital elevation model) or NED (national elevation dataset) files from the USGS. Here is a website with a lot of information about the formats, how to use them, and where to get them. You will most likely need to write your own loader for the data, and do your own dataset processing for the walk/climb grades, etc...

Josh
vertexnormal AT linuxmail DOT org

Check out Golem at:
My cheapass website
I''d say that is right on the money, following links for 15 minutes I think I saw enough to say that something exactly like what I am looking for is in that network of sites. I''ll have our 3d lead take a gander. Thank you for the link.
I wrote a perl script which automatically downloaded every DEM 7.5 minute map for the Western half of the United States - something like 40,000 files. I then wrote a program to take any subsection of that area and stitch them together.
Saxxon: I''m glad I could help.

bishop_pass: I would actually like to see that script. Would it be too much trouble to email it to me? I would truly appreciate it. Building a database of US topography is something I''ve been thinking about doing for a long time now, but I haven''t wanted to take on the task of hunting down all the DEMs, and I''m not experienced at writing scripts to automate that sort of thing.

Josh

Check out Golem at:
My cheapass website
That would be a very interesting and useful tool. We are about to start evaluation of a 3D game engine, and though I am not one of the people that will be doing the nuts & bolts of that, it wouild be *very* interesting indeed to be able to import maps like those into a project as the game world. Very interesting. Sure its been done at the least by MS Flight Sim, but we have a more radical use in mind.
quote:Original post by VertexNormal
bishop_pass: I would actually like to see that script. Would it be too much trouble to email it to me? I would truly appreciate it. Building a database of US topography is something I''ve been thinking about doing for a long time now, but I haven''t wanted to take on the task of hunting down all the DEMs, and I''m not experienced at writing scripts to automate that sort of thing.
You might have to be a little patient, as it''s on another computer, which is in storage. Otherwise, I have no qualms with the sharing of the idea, in spirit.

No worries. You actually got me thinking enough that I''ve started to teach myself Perl. Seems like it might come in handy sometimes. So... thanks for the nudge.

Josh

Check out Golem at:
My cheapass website
Hey vertex...could you get me your golem game some how?? Looks awsome!
The Untitled RPG - |||||||||| 40%Free Music for your gamesOriginal post by capn_midnight 23yrold, is your ass burning from all the kissing it is recieving?
*sheepish grin*

Putting up a demo for download has been on my TO-DO list for quite a long time now. Sorry.

I''ve got a Windows box around here somewhere, so maybe this would be a good time to dust it off, build a Windows port, and put it up for DL, yes? When I get to it, I''ll announce it in the Announcements forum; and, if I remember, I can send you an email.

Josh

Check out Golem at:
My cheapass website

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement