• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Analyzation of conversations

This topic is 5286 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''d like to get a discussion going about conversations because I believe that they are a large part of any game in which communcating with NPCs is important. The conversation type that I would like to discuss is the type with only two speakers. The word ''conversation'' simply means: the act of talking together. Most conversations have a beginning, middle, and an end. beginnging - speakers greet each other middle - any amount of topics are covered end - conversation is brought to a close Bartender: Hello sir, can I get you a drink to start off the night? Player: No thanks, but I would like to ask you a few questions. Bartender: Alright, I''ll answer them the best I can. ... Player: Well, thanks for the information, have a good night. Bartender: It''s no problem, if I can help you again, just let me know. The topics in a coversation are either brought up from nothing or are begun due to a previous topic. An example of a topic being sparked from a previous topic would be, "I haven''t seen your father in a long time, and speaking of him, did he ever read the book I gave to him last Christmas?" When writing conversations for a game, I believe that asking yourself, "What is a conversation?" should be the first step. Anyone have anything to add?

Advertisement
When I started designing my conversation engine, I came up with eight steps or so for a conversation, I think. I can''t really remember them now, and my notebook is at home and I don''t have any internet connection there until friday or so

I''ll post it when I find it

------------------
"Kaka e gott" - Me
Current project: An RPG with tactical, real-time combat with a realistic damage system, and randomly generated world and dialogue.

• Advertisement