Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Faze

Analyzation of conversations

I''d like to get a discussion going about conversations because I believe that they are a large part of any game in which communcating with NPCs is important. The conversation type that I would like to discuss is the type with only two speakers. The word ''conversation'' simply means: the act of talking together. Most conversations have a beginning, middle, and an end. beginnging - speakers greet each other middle - any amount of topics are covered end - conversation is brought to a close Bartender: Hello sir, can I get you a drink to start off the night? Player: No thanks, but I would like to ask you a few questions. Bartender: Alright, I''ll answer them the best I can. ... Player: Well, thanks for the information, have a good night. Bartender: It''s no problem, if I can help you again, just let me know. The topics in a coversation are either brought up from nothing or are begun due to a previous topic. An example of a topic being sparked from a previous topic would be, "I haven''t seen your father in a long time, and speaking of him, did he ever read the book I gave to him last Christmas?" When writing conversations for a game, I believe that asking yourself, "What is a conversation?" should be the first step. Anyone have anything to add?

When I started designing my conversation engine, I came up with eight steps or so for a conversation, I think. I can''t really remember them now, and my notebook is at home and I don''t have any internet connection there until friday or so

I''ll post it when I find it

------------------
"Kaka e gott" - Me
Current project: An RPG with tactical, real-time combat with a realistic damage system, and randomly generated world and dialogue.