Is this safe std::string code?

Started by
14 comments, last by Shannon Barber 20 years, 7 months ago
quote:Original post by Deyja
My code might be off; but you get the idea. Now, two might actually equal "b string".

CoW was one of the things that came to mind... buuuut calling .begin() is a good sign that the user intends to do something to the string, so CoW ought to be invoked upon calling it.

- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Advertisement
Elements of a std::vector (possibly except std::vector, not sure about that) are indeed required by the standard to be stored in contiguous memory, so it's safe to use &v[0] (or &*v.begin()) as a pointer to the vector data. The explicit requirement was added in a technical corrigenda (which means it's now part of the standard).

To allow for standard library implementation trade-offs there's no similar requirement for std::string. You can get a pointer to the contents in contiguous memory through std::string::data() and std::string::c_str(), but that may be a copy and must not be modified.

[edited by - spock on September 2, 2003 11:08:27 PM]
This is one of those things that gets the people on the newsgroups to all chime in "WELL IF YOU LOOK AT SECTION 2891.213.11.AC appendix 3 it doesn''t guarantee that it will work!!!!" Except, it does on a lot of compilers. I wouldn''t think twice when you had to use it if you marked it as a hack. It is one of the things I complain about when I complain about std::string.

Like I said in another thread, for a *basic* string (which it is, it is even named that) there is NO reason why the storage wouldn''t be contiguous. Only something more elaborate like an SGI rope would be spread out.

I''m starting to think that languages developed by committee (cough, C++) are just so darn slow to change that it''s detrimental to the programmer. Being able to read directly into the buffer would be a whole lot more useful than making an input buffer and then building a string from it. It''s an example of taking encapsulation way too far, where you actually make more work for the programmer. I think the people developing the language need to come down and see what some common problems are with it.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
quote:Original post by antareus I''m starting to think that languages developed by committee (cough, C++) are just so darn slow to change that it''s detrimental to the programmer. Being able to read directly into the buffer would be a whole lot more useful than making an input buffer and then building a string from it. It''s an example of taking encapsulation way too far, where you actually make more work for the programmer. I think the people developing the language need to come down and see what some common problems are with it.

Well, I have two comments. First of all, the proper solution(as demonstrated by GrinningGator) is more elegant than any solution using direct access to a buffer. So the abstraction is good here, because there is no possibility of overflow, there aren''t special cases if you run out of space, and the programmer isn''t burdened with memory management. Second of all, much of the stl(although probably not strings) was not designed by committee, but rather by two individuals.
quote:Original post by Deyja
std::string one = "a string";std::string two = one; //one and two point to the SAME DATA.&*(one.begin()) = ''b''; // begin may or may not copy the data. Assigning to the iterator definitly will copy it. But you just bypassed it entirely. 
If neither one.begin() nor *(one.begin()) invokes the copy-on-write, the implementation is horribly broken.
I think most people have answered the question with "yes, it''ll work, but it''s not standard."

I''ll add to it why it might not actually work in (not that uncommon) cases:

1. String pooling. Some implementations do string pooling to reduce the overhead of having bunches of small strings with the same contents around. VC .NET has an option to turn this on IIRC.

2. Many implementations handle different-length strings different. At least one implementation has a 16-byte array in-object to store short strings, but use dynamicly allocated memory to store longer strings. This could (in some situations) lead to a problem if the class makes the wrong decision based on actual string length.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement