• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vish40

OpenGL Questions for people who know OpenGL pretty well!!!

This topic is 5403 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey guys, I have been programming in OpenGL for about 6 months. I have read tutorials on several of the website. They were great, especially NeHe''s, but they only take to a certain level. I am at a level where I can create a 3d object and do alpha blending, lighting, texturing and all other low level stuff. I can''t seen to go anywhere from here. So I have a question to ask you OpenGL programmers. How did you go about learn OpenGL and what step did you took to get to the level you''re at. I would also like to know the following things: I do i go about programming a level in OpenGL. Are there any tutorials that I can help with this process. Thanks for your replys.

Advertisement
The key is to right some model loaders (and perhaps your own format) so you can get more complex objects on your screen, instead of guessing at vertices or using graph paper.

See the problem with this is that i dont know how to program that. Is there a website that explains the process of creating complex object or even my own format.

Thanks again for your replys.

I learnt by programming a simple 3D game, referring to the OpenGL pages on MSDN.

If you''ve done a lot of tutorials, it''s probably time you weened yourself off them. Tutorials are okay if you want to get your feet wet, but at some point you need to learn to think for yourself. Copying and pasting really doesn''t teach you that much.

quote:
Original post by vish40
See the problem with this is that i dont know how to program that. Is there a website that explains the process of creating complex object or even my own format.

Thanks again for your replys.

Oh dear. My initial suspicion was correct: you're a copy and paste programmer without a clue about designing your own code. Perhaps you should just learn to program instead. Before you ask, no, there isn't a web page which will teach you how to program. You need to learn yourself.

When you have some more specific questions, come back and ask them, and I'm sure we'll do our best to help you out.

[edited by - benjamin bunny on September 2, 2003 7:48:36 PM]

I don't think you guys are being fair to this poster. He's not asking for another tutorial, he's asking for some ideas as to where to proceed. Even if you're not copying & pasting, you still burrow other people's ideas. Nobody wants to reinvent the wheel, except maybe for a purely academic challange.

vish40: If you're feeling adventurous, you can try your hand at loading an existing file format, such as Quake2 BSP. There are documents for doing this such as:

http://www.flipcode.com/tutorials/tut_q2levels.shtml

This shows you not only how to read in a specific format (so you can use existing artwork to develop your own rendering techniques) but also what information goes into the level besides geometry.

If you keep your loading code moderatly separate from your drawing code, you can always go back and replace or extend the file format later.

Hope that helps.

Tom

[edited by - ParadigmShift on September 2, 2003 7:58:08 PM]

[edited by - ParadigmShift on September 2, 2003 7:59:38 PM]

[edited by - ParadigmShift on September 2, 2003 8:01:26 PM]

As for models, I''ve learned a lot from a book called Focus on 3D Models by PremierPress. In the book they go over the concept in a pretty API-Independent way, and then you can go to the CD for the examples written using OpenGL. It is another book, but you might actually walk way understanding what your doing rather than guessing, or cutting and pasting. It goes over most of the major format, i.e. .OBJ (MAYA), .3DS (3DS Max), .MD2 (Quake 2), .MD3 (Quake 3), MDL (half-life), etc.

There are plenty of websites available as well to learn the level-rendering stuff like GameTutorials.com. There is also another book by the same company called Focus on Terrain someting where it teaches you several methods for generating terrain algorithimically. When it comes down to it, we all get our ideas from someone else. Even John Carmack has stated that all he does is embrace and extend other''s ideas.

Kill ''''em all!!! Let Allah sort em out

What you really need is not another programming resource.

As benjamin bunny stated, copying and pasting won't take you very far.

What you really need is a project, such as a simple game or demo program. Another source of programming projects is employment, but generally the projects are dictated to you. At your level, a simple game or demo is probably what you should be looking into.

[edited by - jeeky on September 2, 2003 9:16:30 PM]

The best thing to do is set out to create some small demo. You will encounter many specific problems that you will have to find the answer to. Basically you have to learn by doing.

A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

"Just don''t look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

quote:
Original post by vish40
hey guys,
I have been programming in OpenGL for about 6 months. I have read tutorials on several of the website. They were great, especially NeHe''s, but they only take to a certain level. I am at a level where I can create a 3d object and do alpha blending, lighting, texturing and all other low level stuff. I can''t seen to go anywhere from here.

So I have a question to ask you OpenGL programmers. How did you go about learn OpenGL and what step did you took to get to the level you''re at.

I would also like to know the following things:
I do i go about programming a level in OpenGL.
Are there any tutorials that I can help with this process.

Thanks for your replys.

to answer you instead of bashing you (yes, every once in a while i am on that side of the fence):

if you have followed and understood the NeHe stuff, your next step might be to put it all together. using the stuff you learned, work out a small project you want to do (or even just simple demo things to test your skills) and try to implement it.

there are books you can buy or download (depending on the book) to learn more about openGL. there are more tutorials and such on the internet, but most don''t go further then NeHe''s and aren''t as good anyway.

as for model loading, you will have to look up the file format you want to use (try the "wotsit" site affiliated with gamedev, i don''t remember the URL) and write a function to load such a file into memory and draw it with OpenGL. creating your own format might be simpler, but then you also have to write the editor program, or a plugin to export it from another editor, which is a pain.

after you have tried some of these things, more specific questions will hopefully be answered here for you in a nicer manner.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!