slowness with 3d models

Started by
3 comments, last by Khaos Dragon 20 years, 7 months ago
Normally without rendering any polygons I get a fps rate of about 65, and with the addition of some terrain (10,000 triangles ) it slips down to about 50. However with the addition of 3 relatively basic 3d studio max models, my fps drops down to a stagering 12 or 13. Switching from immediate mode to using a display list only brought me up to about 17 fps, but now none of my textures seem to show up ( is glBind not allowed inside a display list or something? ). I am a little puzzled on how so many first person shooters can display several complex models at once and maintain at least a 25-30 fps on my computer and yet I am having speed troubles with only a few models.
Advertisement
Since it seems you''re using display lists, you may consider using vertex arrays instead. Those should speed up rendering.

I should add I have a 2 gig pentium 4 with 512 ram and an ATI RAGE Pro 128 UltraGl graphics card and estimate I am rendering 50,000+ triangles to result with about a 12 fps, is this normal?
I would suggest spending $65-85 for a Radeon 8500 or GeForce 4 if you can (you have a really fast cpu for a slow video card), but that does seem like a low fps. What are you doing to render the models?
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
quote:Original post by Khaos Dragon

I should add I have a 2 gig pentium 4 with 512 ram and an ATI RAGE Pro 128 UltraGl graphics card and estimate I am rendering 50,000+ triangles to result with about a 12 fps, is this normal?

Sounds about right. That fossil of a graphics card is the culprit.

[edited by - benjamin bunny on September 2, 2003 9:54:04 PM]

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement