• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

uber_n00b

Good, free modeler?

This topic is 5395 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m looking for a free (or really cheap) modeller. Specifically I have been trying to find a modeler to make simple things like a simple house or tree. I have yet to find a good editor that I can export files from and create a loader in openGL for, however. Any ideas? (I downloaded anim8or but can''t find the option to convert the object to openGL code)

Advertisement
Yes, cowsarenotevil is right. It''s not hard to make a model loader, so you''re better off saving some cash and program your own. There is only one thing I can think of that will actually export code Deep Exploration. I think it exports models as .h files, I may be wrong though.

Another alternative is Milshape3D. It''s only $25 US dollars, and can import/export numerous formats.

Best of luck,

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

quote:
Original post by UltimaX Another alternative is Milshape3D. It''s only $25 US dollars, and can import/export numerous formats.

Wings is good at exporting also. The only place milkshape really shines (for me, at least) is ease of texture mapping.

I've never even heard of wings, thats why I didn't mention it. I'll look into it though, maybe something I can use

EDIT:
I looked at it and seen that it exports to 7 different formats. Milkshape3D does around 37. It's woth the $25 just for that.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

[edited by - UltimaX on September 2, 2003 9:49:03 PM]

Try Gmax. I don''t think it supports many file types though.
http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

ok related question. Is it more practicable for a fairly beginner OpenGL programmer to load standard format models like .3ds or .obj using code someone else wrote, or try and create his own format which basically only consists of vertices, texels and texture names?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!