Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

uber_n00b

Good, free modeler?

uber_n00b    122
I''m looking for a free (or really cheap) modeller. Specifically I have been trying to find a modeler to make simple things like a simple house or tree. I have yet to find a good editor that I can export files from and create a loader in openGL for, however. Any ideas? (I downloaded anim8or but can''t find the option to convert the object to openGL code)

UltimaX    468
Yes, cowsarenotevil is right. It''s not hard to make a model loader, so you''re better off saving some cash and program your own. There is only one thing I can think of that will actually export code Deep Exploration. I think it exports models as .h files, I may be wrong though.

Another alternative is Milshape3D. It''s only $25 US dollars, and can import/export numerous formats.

Best of luck,

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

UltimaX    468
I've never even heard of wings, thats why I didn't mention it. I'll look into it though, maybe something I can use

EDIT:
I looked at it and seen that it exports to 7 different formats. Milkshape3D does around 37. It's woth the $25 just for that.

-UltimaX-

[edited by - UltimaX on September 2, 2003 9:49:03 PM]

uber_n00b    122
ok related question. Is it more practicable for a fairly beginner OpenGL programmer to load standard format models like .3ds or .obj using code someone else wrote, or try and create his own format which basically only consists of vertices, texels and texture names?

UltimaX    468
I would suggest learning to load other file formats first. Start with something easy like .obj or .ase, then work your way up to file formats that are in binary like .3ds, .md2, .md3, etc. After that you could add the animation data from the .3ds, .md2, .md3, etc. Once you get comfortable to the file formats and understand them, it''s open season. You can create your own file formats, seeing as how you would know to store the data, animations, etc.

-UltimaX-

starboarder    122
I dont think you will have a problem writing a fileformat. If you want to USE your own you will have to write a converter or exporter for it...so I WOULD recommend that you learn the a Known Model format first. I suggest md2..That was the first model format i learned. its addictive once you write your first..You cant stop writing them .

[edited by - starboarder on September 4, 2003 12:16:22 AM]

Wavewash    202
quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil
quote:
Original post by UltimaX Another alternative is Milshape3D. It''s only $25 US dollars, and can import/export numerous formats.

Wings is good at exporting also. The only place milkshape really shines (for me, at least) is ease of texture mapping.

I have a lot of trouble using the texture mapping stuff in milkshape. I got my hands on a old version of lithunwrap and it''s made my life SO much easier. Lithunwrap can open milkshape files and you can map easily in it and then save back to the milkshape format.

~Wave

lobravo    122
The file formats are different, like ASE, OBJ, MD2 and so on, but is the structure inside it different? I can''t learn how to load. i don''t understand those classes. Is that like Functions? Because i used to use delphi, so a class is for example a button, the window. u know what i mean.

ZMaster    240
@lobravo: Do you want to know what a class is? I suggest you to read some C++ tutorials/books about classes because they are pretty complex.
Basicly, a class is an object in C++. You can use it like a new type of variable and access functions within the class/variable. You can also see it as an extended "struct" type:

class Model
{
public:
Model();
~Model();

void LoadModel(char *filename);

private:
bool bModelLoaded;
};

This would be a very basic class. You have a LoadModel() function that can be accessed from outside the class (notice the "public:" keyword - this means you can use it from outside). Model() and ~Model() are the so called Constructor and Destructor. Model() is called automatically at the initialization of the class and ~Model() when the class is terminated (they are used to initialize vars in the private section for example). In the private section (means when cannot access those vars from outside only from functions within the class) we have bModelLoaded.

You set up the functions like that:

Model::Model()
{
bModelLoaded = false; //We set this false because we just initilized

//the class

}

Model::~Model()
{
bModelLoaded = false; //Reset everything

//if we have memory allocated we can kill it here

}

Model::LoadModel(char *filename)
{
FILE *file;
file = fopen(filename, "rb");

//...

//Load the Model here

fclose(file);
bModelLoaded = true;
}

You can then access the class from your main program loop:

Model myWorldModel; //we declare it as a var (myWorldModel.Model() is called automatically)

myWorldModel.LoadModel("model.3ds"); //load the model

//NOTE: The code below cannot work because we declared bModelLoaded as a private member!!!

myWorldModel.bModelLoaded = true; //Doesn''t work!

So that''s the very basic concept of a class in C++ and believe me, that IS very basic There are so much things about classes and you should really check out a good tutorial or book or something.

PurpleAmethyst    335
I have some code that'll load an Anim8or mesh from a an8 file. I'll send it to you if you want (It isn't particularly brilliant though, actually its crap code but it works so I'm happy). AN8 file are just ASCII any text editor can load them. You can parse them pretty easily too have a look at some notepad.

BTW: Export Object and select C code.

[edited by - pkelly83 on September 6, 2003 6:39:03 AM]

lobravo    122
Really Thank you ZMaster. You cleaned away my doubt.

Just a commentary(may be wrong!):

Then Classes in C++ are like an advanced function that return something, but more organized? Because you can call a function that is inside a Class. Maybe a more professional way to develop.

I understood, but i don''t have the words to explain. Thanks!!

ZMaster    240
You should see a class more as an advanced data type such as int or float. As an addition to many different data you can have functions in a C++ class that manipulate data within the class (or do something other of course - like Render() or Destroy() an object )

Like I said, there are many different aspects that make a class very useful to C++ programmers. Maybe you have heard of polymorphic classes before. That means you can have a base class (eg. "Object") and derivate different classes (all with at least the same properties your base class has) from this one (eg. "ObjectBSPWorld" or "Object3DSModel").

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Use Blender.

After you read 3 or 4 Tutorials you see it is very easy.
There is an export Script, that exports opengl code, too.
You modell it in Blender, then run a pythoon script and you get the glVertex3f() and glNormal3f() functions with the right coordinates. You can copy this direct to your C code.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
"Use Blender.
After you read 3 or 4 Tutorials you see it is very easy."

Are you joking? Blender is the most cluttered and overcomplicated program I''ve ever used, and I would not recommend it to someone with no clue. And they just keep adding to it and adding to it instead of trying to make it usable. Using it makes me feel like my head is in a blender! I can''t tell you how many times I have to quit out and restart it because I clicked a little button that pops up a whole new UI, full of more buttons that do the same.

the sad truth is, there isn''t really much for free modellers, not anything easy to use anyways. Wings3d seems to be the best or maybe 3d-exploration.

maxd gaming    100
quote:
Original post by neurokaotix
anim8tor

ANIM8OR...there is no better!
\

drarem    100
anim8or now supports knife tool (cutting faces), environment mapping, and some other features. It''s getting very close to being in 3dmax''s shadow (for freeware that is).

http://www.anim8or.com

I fseek, therefore I fam.