Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARS_999

Curious on how people here are implementing water

MARS_999    1627
I am working on a terrain engine. I was wondering what methods people here are using to put water into their engines? I have done a simple plane of water and textured it, but boring. I would like the water to be dynamic. I am using VBO''s for my terrain. I was wondering if I was to use some kind of random vertex height for each vertex and each frame have it assign a new random value if that would work? Also if anyone wants to please post a link to a screenshot of your water if you are describing your method. Thanks

PhiberOptic    128
I think it''s better to apply an algorithm that takes care of the water/height values. Random values can look pretty unrealistic. I don''t really know, but you might try some sine algorithm, since basic waves have the same shape as a sine-curve.

----------------------------------------------
Petter Nordlander

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. The who understand binary and those who don''t"

benjamin bunny    838
I added some sine waves together in a vertex shader. This allows me to vary the tesselation according to the distance from the camera. I''m using environment mapping for reflection and refraction.

Yann L    1802
I gave an IRC lecture about water generation and rendering some time ago, you might want to check it out here. Perhaps it can give you some ideas.