most important thing to you in mmorpg's

Started by
18 comments, last by DarkSaint 20 years, 7 months ago
I''m tired of stat driven games, where the entire point of the game is to build your cahracters stats, because if you done your character sucks and there is nothing you can do about it.

I miss the days where RPG ment a story driven game where your character''s skills came second and you always had enough exp for your skills to be at the level to get from point A to B.

MMORGS are just a combo of hack and slash, stats and a chat room.

SWG might have dancing and all that other none combat stuff but its sooooooo boring. "Click dance button" - "You dance and everyone loves it" - woot.... that you for telling me that, i mean like do people really like that dance i just did? - "Click dance button" - "You fail to dance" - wtf?!?....
Advertisement
IMHO, the most fun part of any MMORPG is the Player driven systems, as these are far less constricting than the ones the devs throw into the game engine. Such systems include Barta, social interaction, travelling.

Over-time however i''ve seen a gentle decline in the number of RPs who will actually uphold these systems...
IMO social interaction is the most important, it''s what multiplayer is all about.
quote:Original post by Edward Ropple
Roleplay. And, by extension of roleplay, permadeath.

Exactly! thats what we need, a MMORPG where the players cant come back to life. that would make things very interesting.

Do not remove a fly from your friend''s forehead with a hatchet.
Chinese Proverb
Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet.Chinese Proverb
Go up in levels.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I think they should include a way of encouraging the players to interact.
By say removing all NPC''s from the game.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

removing NPCs ? huuuh... shame on you!
quote:Original post by TechnoGoth
I think they should include a way of encouraging the players to interact.
By say removing all NPC''s from the game.

I like that idea, every one you meet is a PC. Unfortunately this will only work once you have lots of people on at the same time, most of the time it might seem... empty.

The sentence below is true.The sentence above is false.And by the way, this sentence only exists when you are reading it.
The most important thing for me is an end game that *doesn''t* involve PvP.
-Mike
The most important thing to me in moorpg's is to play the game as I want, and have the game seem to be what I want it to be.

If I want to solo, then let it seem like a single player game. If I want it to be a MMO game, then let it seem like a MMO game.

If I want to power up to a certain extent without depending on others, then let it be possible.

If I want to get the choice items by picking from what other players have found and want to sell, then so be it.

If I want to develop a sociology behind raising to epic levels (that is, associating with groups that plan to reach those levels together), then let the game allow it.

If I want to get to epic levels without depending on others, then let the game allow that too without paying a price.

Don't let the game create the illusion that playing as a MMO provides greater rewards than what I try to gain as a solo player (the rewards as a MMO game are just as illusionary). Make satisfaction within my grasp - don't just hand it to me, but don't make it hollow and suggest I need more to REALLY find it.

Give me the choice of looking at what everyone else is doing at a distance (without being intrusive) or playing along with them. Let me go to a secluded area if I want one day, or join the crowd another.

Don't make an economy (sale of items, income, distrubution of skill points) that depends on others. Players will end up creating their own economy for choice items and make little frachises of their own. This is expected.

I know that any MMO game is more fulfilling when grouping, and you get a much more effective grouping experience with people who build their characters with the expectation of others complimenting their weak points. The game should not be impossible to play, or less satisfying to the point of tedium, for the solo player.

[edited by - Waverider on September 8, 2003 7:55:13 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement