• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jcpr

MMORPG Log-out Terror

This topic is 5394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all: My question is very simple... What to do with the character, when the user logs out. Taking by example something like a Star Wars Galaxies character... What should happen to the character when you log out... Should it disappear immediately from the world? Should it be kept in the world, at the mercy of other players, in some kind of automatic mode? Should it become a somekind of a ghost? Should it only be allowed to log out when you''re on a safe place? What should happen? I''m hoping to get some interesting ideas, from all you out there. Cheers

Advertisement
I guess this topic belongs to the game design forum but anyway
I''ve personally choosen to make them disappear from the world immeditaly after they log off. But I might change it in the future if players are going to abuse this during PvP fights. But from my experience from some mmorpgs, disappearing immediately is not really an issue (well most of the time).

In Ultima Online you can log out right away if your in a safe place. Anywhere else, or if you have been fighting in the last few min, you say active for 2 min after you log out.

I think that system works cause if your fighting someone you don''t want them to be about to just log out to save them selves. Or if you have stealing someone could steal something and then logout untill its safe..

Please visit Turt99 Productions

In most games there is a 30-second period after you initiate the logout. You''re still in the game but any significant action (moving, combat) will abort the logout. If you go the full 30 seconds then you''re out of the world immediately.

If you go link dead then you stay in the world for some short time before you disappear. During this time you''re vulnerable to all the standard hazards in the game.

About this message being here and not on the Game design Thread, I really hesitated between these two, but end up thinking this was the right one... Sorry...

Well... I see there''s agreement over the lot of you...

However, lets say you''re in a PvP battle, and you lose link... What should your character do??

Just stay there and be beaten?

Or someform of automatic battle should become active?

Any form of forcing a player to stay in game after they log out is evil. When I tell a game to quit, I expect it to quit right now, not in 30 seconds. And I don''t want to have to travel to some "safe place" to end the game, either. When I turn a game off, I want it to go off right now, no matter where I am

Now, that''s not to say the in-game character shouldn''t stick around for a little bit, if necessary. If in the midst of combat (especially PvP), the toon shouldn''t be allowed to just leave to save his or her skin. A delay in the toon leaving the world is perfectly acceptable in some instances, but the player should not be forced to sit and wait for this to happen.

As for what the toon does when the player is gone, it should just sit there for a bit, unless it is engaged in combat, in which case it ought to defend itself with rudimentary attacks. I believe this is what most MMOGs do now. SWG and AC/AC2 do, anyway

Ron

Most of the players won''t log off during a PvP fight. If they do, they will get shame, and shame is usually avoided in MMO games

quote:
Original post by Cahaan
Most of the players won''t log off during a PvP fight. If they do, they will get shame, and shame is usually avoided in MMO games

Perhaps most won''t, but many will do whatever gives them an advantage, including logging out if they are losing a battle in order to avoid the loss (whatver penalty you implement for death). I wouldn''t count on players playing fair for upholding the rules of your game, you will be very dissapointed (and then have to go back in and start implementing programmatic rules to eliminate unfair behavior, heh). Many won''t play fair, shame or not, they''ll use whatever means they can to take the advantage. I''ve seen this happen first hand in many instances.

>>they will get shame, and shame is usually avoided in MMO games

I agree with Ron. I''m not sure what games you''ve been playing, but in the MMORPGs I''ve played (AC1&2,DAOC,EQ), shame is NOT a motivator. People will lie, steal, backstab, spam, cheat, whatever, and if their reputation ever begins to precede them (ie, they can no longer get away with it), they will just create a new character and start their grief-play with a new persona. These malicious players are definitely in the minority, but it only takes a few to ruin the game for everyone else. As the designer/developer, you must do whatever is in your power to limit their power.

bpopp (bpopp.net)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!