Dos games.

Started by
2 comments, last by ScottC 20 years, 7 months ago
Worth bothering with? or get thru the book fast as you can and go on to opengl or directx?
Advertisement
Sadly, DOS is fairly uncommon today.

A lot of the basic stuff is still the same though, but OpenGL/DirectX is the way to go.
OpenGL is available under DOS, if you really feel like developing for such an archaic platform

Check out Mesa. It''s even hardware accelerated on Voodoo chipsets, through DOS Glide probably. Otherwise, it''s (slow) software mode.

My advice: forget DOS. Target Windows or Linux instead. DOS is as dead is it can be (thankfully).
If you are not into retro-games like myself, you really don''t need to bother about DOS.
I develop retro games just for fun, but i''m also learning Direct X and Open GL.

But depending on your knowledge, DOS can still be a great learning platform. Because playing around with Direct X and Open GL making a cube rotate and adding some light to it isn''t really that close to completing a full game.
So therefore by making some simple textbased games (don''t need to be graphics) to learn how to design a game and COMPLETE IT can be very helpful for future progress.

DayZero said that
Free Classic Arcade Games by Blitzway Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement