Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daivuk

determine array size

Daivuk    413
(sorry about my english, I''m from quebec) Hi, I just want to know the size of one of my array. What I mean is : I have a type : dk_Poly And I have an array of poly : dk_Poly *PolyList; Then I create a array of a specified length : PolyList = new dk_Poly[NbPoly]; But I dont want to pass NbPoly to all functions and proc. So I''m just asking if there is a way to know the size of PolyList?? I tried sizeof(), but this only give me the size of the type or pointer. thx

Fruny    1658
quote:
Original post by CloudNine

int size=sizeof(*ptr)/sizeof(ptr);

should do the trick

No. No. No. No. No. No.
It will *never* work with a pointer.

Daivuk - either use a C++ vector, or pass the size explicitely. There are no other options.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

[edited by - Fruny on September 3, 2003 12:27:18 PM]

Fruny    1658
An array knows its size. A pointer doesn't know if it's pointing to a single element or an array and therefore cannot be used to find the size of the array.

You can write a function that either returns the correct result (with an array) or fails to compile (with a pointer) instead of returning an incorrect result.

template<class T, size_t n> size_t array_size( T(&)[n] )
{
return n;
}

int array[100];
int *ptr = array;
int i = array_size(array); // Ok, returns 100

int j = array_size(ptr); // Doesn't compile

Daivuk - learn to use C++ vectors. They do the job nicely.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

[edited by - Fruny on September 3, 2003 12:28:59 PM]

GekkoCube    116
template

i''ve seen template when defining a template class.
i''ve seen template when defining templates functions.
but what is that line aboe mean?
is this part of the stl vector???
please explain that.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Fruny''s template for array_size is confusing at first, but it all becomes clear when you realize that C++ can have unnamed function parameters. I believe this is discussed in one of the first few hints in Meyer''s Essential STL book, but in a different context.

Anyway, basically array_size is a parameterized function that takes an array reference as a parameter. Just like if you were to write this function...

int doSomething (int (&array)[90]);

...it would only compile if you did something like this:

int somearray[90];
int otherarray[91];

int main ()
{
doSomething (somearray); // fine
doSomething (otherarray); // not fine
}

By the way, the parenthesis above "int (&array)[90]" are because of operator precedence, I assume.

Now onto unnamed function parameters... you actually see this all the time in C code:

int somefunction (int, int, float);

The above is a valid prototype, and... if for some reason the function has a parameter which it doesn''t use, it can safely remain anonymous during the actual function body.

As it turns out, that''s exactly what we have with array_size; we don''t care at all about what the array actually is, just its size. Therefore the parameter can (but does not have to) remain unnamed.

Anyway, assuming you understand typed and non-typed template parameters, array_size should be pretty clear to you now.