oh so many source editors, and the people who love them.

Started by
25 comments, last by Lucidquiet 20 years, 7 months ago
I''ve been thinking that Emacs is the most powerful source editor -- barnone. However, it looks crappy. But aesthetics aside. I don''t know if it can show resource trees, with something other than text display. Is it a capable of project/package management? (ie. Can you rename symbols.) Will it show dependencies, stuff like that, or is it the reason you have lisp at your disposal. But also the regular expression utility is like looking at a line of backslashes, so many escapes.

Someone has got to have an opinion!

L-
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Advertisement
jEdit isn''t bad, opensource java editor that supports formatting of many different language syntax as well as built in XML support and a plethora of other plug-ins to accomplish many other things.

http://jedit.org/
________________~§ß~
I love vim.

The best thing about vim is that even the simplest things require a cryptic combination of keystokes so you get a sense of achievement from doing anything.

Somehow I have managed to learn a scary amount of vim commands, and using any other text editor just annoys the crap out of me nowadays.

quote:Original post by sQuid
The best thing about vim is that even the simplest things require a cryptic combination of keystokes so you get a sense of achievement from doing anything.

I get this strange sense of achievement when my text editor allows me to effortlessly get my work done, but that's just me

Nah, The VIs aren't that bad, but I couldn't imagine using them for a large project.

[edited by - tortoise on September 4, 2003 9:31:29 PM]
It takes some doing to get it set up correctly, but I like Vim. (most people mean vim when they say they like vi) I also would like to second the vote for scite. I use that for my editing under windows (there are windows and linux versions of both vim and scite, but scite works better under windows and vim works better under vi). I also occassionally use gvim (gtk+ version of vim; comes with vim most of time), gedit (gnome''s version of notepad; also has syntax highlighting. I usually use it when I''ve screwed up one of my other editors somehow), or nano (mostly nano for random configuration files -- it''s my distro''s default editor and I keep forgetting to change root''s .bashrc to update $EDITOR).

Vim is easy to use, once you know that a) you start in "command mode", where you have various one letter commands that usually take arguments (i.e. ''x'' deletes a character, but "10x" deletes 10 characters, starting at the cursor), b) the ''.'' command is really useful, and c)":help" tells you everything you ever wanted to know about vim.

I have also been thinking of writing my own editor, though. Vim is great, but it doesn''t integrate with other tools very well, AFAIK. (not a problem with multiple terminal windows or vterms for most programs with which you might want to integrate, but gdb is a special exception) It''s user interface''s relatively steep learning curve somewhat bothers me. I''d like to see what I could do to improve that.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
If you''re doing C++, no general-purpose editor will ever come close to IDEs like Visual Studio. If you haven''t looked at the latest VS, you should, before saying that it''s not good enough for you.

Cédric
Turbo C++ 3.0 for DOS.

Even though I never use it anymore, it''s still my favorite IDE

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement