oh so many source editors, and the people who love them.

Started by
25 comments, last by Lucidquiet 20 years, 7 months ago
Well, I have been toying with the idea of writing my own source editor, so that it works something like the way I want, and so that I can understand/implement my own way of handling things like project files. But the thought occured to me that maybe I haven''t looked hard enough at other source code editors, maybe there is one that runs the way I would like...a good balance of GUI and command-line. So, anybody, what is your source editor of choice, and why do you prefer it to others? L- " ''No one has control -- control is just a fantasy. And being human is difficult.'' "
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Advertisement
Visual C++ 6.0

With Standard GUI & Black Backgroundcolor & White Letters ( cause programming all night long i get Headache )
J.A.N.K.E.Y.: Journeying Artificial Nocturnal Killing and Exploration Youth
For C/C++/C#/VB.NET I use VS.NET 2003
For pretty much everything else I use EditPlus

Currently I''m in the design stages of writing my own editor, just because EditPlus isn''t quite powerful enough
daerid@gmail.com
notepad
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Textpad is quite good. When confronted with an xterm, I use vi.

Writing a text editor is both challenging and rewarding. I suggest doing it anyway if you are stuck for what sort of project you might like to take on.
I love Eclipse so much it makes me think twice about programming in languages other than Java :D (and the somewhat scary part is I''m not entirely joking).

Otherwise I use Crimson Editor for most things, or Visual.NET for C# and MS oriented C++.
SciTe is really nice
Just so you know, CrimsonEditor is a blatant rip of EditPlus (just look at the options dialog for each editor side by side).
daerid@gmail.com
Many programs are blatant rips of other programs, doesn''t reduce their usability. Crimson is free, EditPlus isn''t. So it wins by default
quote:Original post by tortoise
Many programs are blatant rips of other programs, doesn't reduce their usability. Crimson is free, EditPlus isn't. So it wins by default

Yes, but crimson is inferior, and Edit+ is $30.

However, I'd <3 to get my hands on Crimson Editor source

[edited by - daerid on September 3, 2003 7:04:55 PM]
daerid@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement