Just curious: How do you determine when a project is "done"?

Started by
16 comments, last by smitty1276 20 years, 7 months ago
We all know that nothing is ever really finished when it comes to programming. I was just wondering if anyone has any specific criteria they use to determine if a project is ready for release.
Advertisement
Well, where I work a release is "done" when everyone involved in the project signs off on it. That normally includes developers, quality assurance, documentation, and managers. Of course for indie development, you''ll probably be a little less formal. But I''d suggest keeping some idea of a version of your product needing to meet certain functional and stability requirements before you consider it done and move on to the next version/project.
It is considered done at the exact second before your final deadline in which the people paying the bills say it has to be done. If no is paying the bills, then it is never done.
super genius
In general terms, you can say your project is done when it accomplish (more or less flawlessly) all the objectives you wanted it to accomplish before you started coding it.

[edited by - owl on September 3, 2003 3:14:22 PM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
For an indie project, it is done when you absolutely can not stand to even load the damn thing up in your IDE anymore, much less actually execute and play the SOB. When you feel nausea at the sight of the opening screen, call it finished and move on.

Josh
vertexnormal AT linuxmail DOT org

Check out Golem at:
My cheapass website
I never have the feeling that a project is really done, only the feeling that a project is "ready to be published".
[www.LifeIsDigital.net - My open source projects and articles.
Your own project is done when any more changes you can think of would mire its original expression.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Not literally speaking, it should be done before you ever start on it, like on paper.
quote:Original post by smitty1276
We all know that nothing is ever really finished when it comes to programming.

I disagree. I have programs that are done and really finished. The most recent one was for my sister. It was a small alert/note program. It is truely finished because it has everything she wanted. I see no reason for considering it "unfinished"

Colin Jeanne | Invader''s Realm
A program is not done until it can play all your audio and video, and send/receive e-mail.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement