DirectX 9 ? My own software device ?

Started by
30 comments, last by bcome 20 years, 7 months ago
I don''t think it''s anal to expect a non-rookie programmer to have read the SDK docs thoroughly.

Why you shouldn''t use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book
Advertisement
YES, I am a rookie!
To DirectX 9 Programming
Started learning DX7 several years ago, skipped DX8, started using DX9, ohhh about 6 months ago. Never used it 'till recently.

[edited by - bcome on September 3, 2003 7:36:46 PM]
<!-- ................................ -->u r what u bcomeMy (XHTML 1.0 Strict) Website
Does an SDK sample run with a HAL device? If so, then that''s not your problem.

I like pie.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
No... Something about, not enough memory.
<!-- ................................ -->u r what u bcomeMy (XHTML 1.0 Strict) Website
What are your system specs?
8mb (shared) Sis530/630 video card
500MHZ K6-2 w/3DNow!
256mb ram
Windows XP
(DirectX 9)
Almost off topic, but:
By any means, use some 20$ and by a graphic card out there, just any will be better than SiS. That''s the worst crap you can get.

If you can''t, try to get the newest driver. And try to start the simplest SDK sample. If even those fail (with not enough memory), i think there''s a setting somewhere which can force to keep more memory for the gfx card (if it''s AGP).

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

- To clarify: Just as JohnBSmall said, plus:
To create a software device, you need the windows DDK. If you get the DDK, you''ll know how to write and register one.

So, the REFerence device is NOT the software device (D3DDEVTYPE_SW).

- DX9 needs DX7+ drivers. So chances are that your SiS doesn''t have any. Use DX8 if you can''t buy a new card.

Couple of quick things ...

* Software device creation is not documented anywhere; not even in the DDK. None exist.

* Your SiS card only has a Direct3D 5 DDI driver. Direct3D 9 requires a Direct3D 6 DDI or later DDI Driver.

thanks

Development Lead, DirectX
Windows Graphics & Gaming Technology
Development Lead, DirectXWindows Graphics & Gaming Technology
quote:Original post by herbm
* Your SiS card only has a Direct3D 5 DDI driver. Direct3D 9 requires a Direct3D 6 DDI or later DDI Driver.

Actually the driver that came with XP does have some (some) support for DirectX 9

And I don't exactly have the GREEN BACKS to get a video card. Another thing, I don't have an AGP slot... I have the feeling that this computer hates me...

quote:Original post by Endurion
i think there's a setting somewhere which can force to keep more memory for the gfx card (if it's AGP).

There is, in the BIOS options, however, 8MB is the MAX amount of memory I can give that device...

==============

My Web Page!!!

[edited by - bcome on September 4, 2003 7:31:44 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement