Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

string to variable ?

This topic is 5219 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Heh, I posted a message on the newbee forum about linked lists... but that post got totally messed up by me, so I'll give it another shot here. So after a couple of hours thinking about my problem my conclution is that what I need to do is something like this: Object { int nTestVariable; } char* sVariableName = "nTestVariable" object.sVariableName = 10; If i print object.nTestVariable, I want to get 10 as the result That is the effect I would want to achieve. The important this is that I need to be able to do the //object.(still not choosen variable) object.sVariableName = 10; //object2.(still not choosen variable) object2.sVariableName = 20; thing. Would be greatful for any help ! [edited by - bilsa on September 3, 2003 3:32:59 PM]

C++ has no introspection mechanism - you can't address variables 'by name'.

What language are you using ?

One option : pointers and member pointers.

int (Object::*sVariableName) = &Object::nTestVariable;

Object object;
object.*sVariableName = 10;

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

[edited by - Fruny on September 3, 2003 3:42:33 PM]

In combination with a map :

map<string, int (Object::*)> ObjectMemberMap;
ObjectMemberMap["nTestVariable"] = &Object::nTestVariable;

object.*ObjectMemberMap["nTestVariable"] = 10;

Note - the type of the member and the type of the pointer must match.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

Yeh guys!

Thats what I'm looking for!

Thank you greatly!

(the combination of member pointer and map)

and combined with a template that would rock!

(though... what i actually needed was the "&Object::nTestVariable")

[edited by - bilsa on September 3, 2003 3:51:35 PM]

[edited by - bilsa on September 3, 2003 4:00:36 PM]