Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lukerd

Open Source Editor?

Lukerd    122
Hey guys, I''m just about to start re-writing my (simple) FPS, up until now i''ve been converting Quake 3 maps (for geometry) and loading them as levels, and placing any entities I want in a separate text file. This isnt really practical, I also want to add some custom flags to polygons. So I thought I should write a map editor, the thing is I dont want to write one from scratch if I dont have to (call it laziness). So does anyone know of a relatively simple open source map editor that I can customise and build on? Hyperdev
"To err is human, to really mess up requires a computer"

ZMaster    240
If I were you, I wouldn''t rewrite a complete map-editor. There are editors out there, that support plugins, so that you can add your flags with a plugin. I think it''ll be much more complicated for you, too rewrite the compiler, so that your costume flags come into the final .bsp file.

A well known editor that supports plugins is QuArK (it''s OpenSource, too) but unfortunatelly it''s written in Phyton, not C/C++. There is a C++ port called QuArK++ in development (also Open Source), no idea when it will be released. I don''t know if Q3Radiant supports plugins. There is also an OpenSource Project based on Q3Radiant, it''s called GtkRadiant.

I have no idea wether the official .bsp compiler is open-source or if there even exists one, what''s open source. Maybe those Open Source projects I''ve mentioned before have an open source compiler with them.

Hawkeye3    122
GtkRadiant supports plugins
There is a non-official user updated quake 3 compiler ( works for almost every major Q3 engine based game ) called Q3map2. It is based on the original Q3 compilers so the source must of been released at some time or another.

lc_overlord    436
q3map2 http://www.shaderlab.com
The scource is not included though, it''s open scource so you can get the source if you want, i have it, probobly trough sourceforge or id''s ftp.

Leyder Dylan    122
In my engine, I use UnrealEd 3.0 for making the map and I export the map into an ASCII file (.t3d fileformat) and next, with a program from my own, I clean de file for keeping only what I need.

========================
Leyder Dylan (dylan.leyder@slug-production.be.tf
http://www.slug-production.be.tf/