games development

Started by
9 comments, last by d eo 20 years, 7 months ago
hay, im only 15 but since he age of 11 i have always wanted to make games. I think its time to get started , so can any of you lot out there list the main jobs, what i have to do in the job and what the best one. I use mmf 1.5 if that helps, i live in the UK so can you also point me in the right direction for courses or what i have to do the study to work in games development. thanks mike
Advertisement
Hi,
Im just really curiouse what mmf 1.5 is??
ive just stared at that sentance for a min or 2 and now im really intrested!

cheers
Here is the url for some game development courses.

www.gameinstitute.com. The only type of place I know of it''s kind.

Anyway, I hope that helped.

--BioX
There are three types of people in this world, those who can count, and those who can't
Get a degree in programming. From now until then you can learn how to program and make games constantly. By the time you graduate with you r degree, you should have a couple of good game demos as well as your degree. This will give you the best chance to make it. And if you can''t get into game development right away, the degree will let you do work in any branch of the software industry.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

"The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
ok thanks that all helps, do you think that games programing or 3d modeling is the best path? p.s mmf is multi media fusion its good you should try it if you want to make games and you dont no any programing. go to www.clickteam.com
Go through college, preferably with a computing A-level in there. After college there are several universities in the UK that offer courses spificly for Games Programming or other aspects of games production, I got mine from the university of Teesside but there are others, look around.

I guessing mmf is Macromedia Flash, not the best games tool around but its the only one I can think of that mmf fits.

You might want to switch to C/C++, if you want to develop games you'll have to learn to program unless its just the Graphics or something you want to do.

[edited by - Naku on September 4, 2003 2:16:19 PM]
APE
ok thanks, sorry to keep on whats the course called?
Try Computer Science or Computer Engineering courses.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
Scott SimontisMy political blog
Or Software Engineering. If you want to do programming. If you want to do game art/concept art, then look into more multimedia specific courses+graphics programming.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

"The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were." - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
quote:Original post by d eo
ok thanks that all helps, do you think that games programing or 3d modeling is the best path? p.s mmf is multi media fusion its good you should try it if you want to make games and you dont no any programing. go to www.clickteam.com

Multimedia fusion (along with all other clickteam gamer creation tools) is entirely useless if you''re at all serious. Learn a programming language (C++ is good, most people know about it and can help you), but the language is up to you. Then you''ll need to learn a graphics and sound API, like OpenGL/OpenAL or DirectX, or SDL.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement