Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FrancoisSoft

Poll - Transparent Bitmap Speed

FrancoisSoft    99
Do you agree that drawing transparent bitmaps is kind of on the slow side? Also what would you say if I put up the code of an already finished "super bitmap" which does not need to do masking to display a transparent bitmap? Hey, don''t forget to visit my page... by clicking here!

Yann L    1802
quote:

Do you agree that drawing transparent bitmaps is kind of on the slow side?

No.

With hardware acceleration, an alpha channel is practically free (ignoring the slightly higher fillrate requirements with enabled blending).

Without hardware support, SIMD is your friend.

FrancoisSoft    99
quote:
Original post by Yann L
quote:

Do you agree that drawing transparent bitmaps is kind of on the slow side?

No.

With hardware acceleration, an alpha channel is practically free (ignoring the slightly higher fillrate requirements with enabled blending).

Without hardware support, SIMD is your friend.

Wrong! I am talking about a bitmap that sends very little data to the hardware and uses tha display card directly (no DC''s). In other words I can draw 20 640x480 bitmaps in 1 millisecond!

Hey, don''t forget to visit my page... by clicking here!

Thr33d    382
For a good time check out FrancoisSoft''s profile
- be sure to scroll down and see all the other wonderful, productive posts he''s made!

Ta ta,
-Michael

cowsarenotevil    3006
quote:
Original post by FrancoisSoft
Wrong! I am talking about a bitmap that sends very little data to the hardware and uses tha display card directly (no DC's). In other words I can draw 20 640x480 bitmaps in 1 millisecond!

What on earth are you talking about?

This is basically what I heard:

You: Don't you agree that drawing bitmaps with transparency is slow?
Yann: No...
You: Wrong! When you refuse to use hardware and try to make the bitmap write itself to the video memory, it doesn't draw 20 huge bitmaps in 1 millisecond! OMG you are teh dumb!!1!`!

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on September 8, 2003 6:21:51 PM]

Mihail121    100
quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil
quote:
Wrong! I am talking about a bitmap that sends very little data to the hardware and uses tha display card directly (no DC''s). In other words I can draw 20 640x480 bitmaps in 1 millisecond!

What on earth are you talking about?

This is basically what I heard:

You: Don''t you agree that drawing bitmaps with transparency is slow?
Yann: No...
You: Wrong! When you refuse to use hardware and try to make the bitmap write itself to the video memory, it doesn''t draw 20 huge bitmaps in 1 millisecond! OMG you are teh dumb!!1!`!

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on September 8, 2003 6:21:51 PM]

Open your eyes finally for the truth!

http://mihail121.tripod.com

Yann L    1802
quote:

*sigh*

Let''s do a little math, shall we ? A truecolour 640*480 bitmap takes 1228800 bytes (640*480*4). Twenty of them take 1228800 * 20 = 24576000 bytes = around 24 megs. That 1000 per second makes a total bandwidth of 24 Gbyte/sec. AGP-8x does a peak rate of approx 2.4 GB/s.

Ergo: FrancoisSoft just created a software emulated AGP-80x

Anyway, feel free to post your algorithm.

FrancoisSoft    99
quote:
Original post by Yann L
quote:

*sigh*

Let''s do a little math, shall we ? A truecolour 640*480 bitmap takes 1228800 bytes (640*480*4). Twenty of them take 1228800 * 20 = 24576000 bytes = around 24 megs. That 1000 per second makes a total bandwidth of 24 Gbyte/sec. AGP-8x does a peak rate of approx 2.4 GB/s.

Ergo: FrancoisSoft just created a software emulated AGP-80x

Anyway, feel free to post your algorithm.

What if I said I actually tested it and it drew about 1000 frames in a second!

Hey, don''t forget to visit my page... by clicking here!

JuNC    236
Look FrancoisSoft, if you are on the level (and based on your history it''s doubtful), then post your algorithm and some concrete results (including test sets) and let the community decide the worth of your creation. If it''s good then kudos, if this is more vapourware then shut up and get back to the drawing board.

I still get the feeling this is some cosmic joke I''m not getting.

Yann L    1802
quote:
What if I said I actually tested it and it drew about 1000 frames in a second!

What if I said that there is a bug in your benchmark code ? Either that, or you aren't writing a full 640*480 bitmap, but only a part of it (ie. old school transparency masking, RLE, quadtree compression, etc).

Whatever you do, you can't beat the physical limitations of your hardware. You can't pump 20000 640*480 24bit images per second down an 8x AGP. It's physically impossible. You'd need ten times the peak bandwidth you have. You can go pretty high by using the GPU alone, but even there you will hit VRAM bandwidth limits at one point or another (although they are much higher than the AGP ones). But as soon as you pump something from main memory to the 3D card, it's 2.4GB/s maximum (currently).

As JuNC said, post your code, and we'll see a lot clearer.

[edited by - Yann L on September 10, 2003 6:02:33 PM]