Poll - Transparent Bitmap Speed

Started by
13 comments, last by FrancoisSoft 20 years, 7 months ago
Do you agree that drawing transparent bitmaps is kind of on the slow side? Also what would you say if I put up the code of an already finished "super bitmap" which does not need to do masking to display a transparent bitmap? Hey, don''t forget to visit my page... by clicking here!
Advertisement
You have probably re-invented the RLE sprite.
quote:
Do you agree that drawing transparent bitmaps is kind of on the slow side?

No.

With hardware acceleration, an alpha channel is practically free (ignoring the slightly higher fillrate requirements with enabled blending).

Without hardware support, SIMD is your friend.
quote:Original post by Yann L
quote:
Do you agree that drawing transparent bitmaps is kind of on the slow side?

No.

With hardware acceleration, an alpha channel is practically free (ignoring the slightly higher fillrate requirements with enabled blending).

Without hardware support, SIMD is your friend.

Wrong! I am talking about a bitmap that sends very little data to the hardware and uses tha display card directly (no DC''s). In other words I can draw 20 640x480 bitmaps in 1 millisecond!

Hey, don''t forget to visit my page... by clicking here!
For a good time check out FrancoisSoft''s profile
- be sure to scroll down and see all the other wonderful, productive posts he''s made!

Ta ta,
-Michael
quote:Original post by FrancoisSoft
Wrong! I am talking about a bitmap that sends very little data to the hardware and uses tha display card directly (no DC's). In other words I can draw 20 640x480 bitmaps in 1 millisecond!

What on earth are you talking about?

This is basically what I heard:

You: Don't you agree that drawing bitmaps with transparency is slow?
Yann: No...
You: Wrong! When you refuse to use hardware and try to make the bitmap write itself to the video memory, it doesn't draw 20 huge bitmaps in 1 millisecond! OMG you are teh dumb!!1!`!

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on September 8, 2003 6:21:51 PM]
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
Wrong! I am talking about a bitmap that sends very little data to the hardware and uses tha display card directly (no DC''s). In other words I can draw 20 640x480 bitmaps in 1 millisecond!

What on earth are you talking about?

This is basically what I heard:

You: Don''t you agree that drawing bitmaps with transparency is slow?
Yann: No...
You: Wrong! When you refuse to use hardware and try to make the bitmap write itself to the video memory, it doesn''t draw 20 huge bitmaps in 1 millisecond! OMG you are teh dumb!!1!`!

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on September 8, 2003 6:21:51 PM]

Open your eyes finally for the truth!

http://mihail121.tripod.com

*sigh*

Let''s do a little math, shall we ? A truecolour 640*480 bitmap takes 1228800 bytes (640*480*4). Twenty of them take 1228800 * 20 = 24576000 bytes = around 24 megs. That 1000 per second makes a total bandwidth of 24 Gbyte/sec. AGP-8x does a peak rate of approx 2.4 GB/s.

Ergo: FrancoisSoft just created a software emulated AGP-80x

Anyway, feel free to post your algorithm.
I''m afraid this concept will face the same eternal destiny as The Ultimate Bitmap
quote:Original post by Thr33d
For a good time check out FrancoisSoft''s profile
- be sure to scroll down and see all the other wonderful, productive posts he''s made!

Ta ta,
-Michael

Shut up you smart alec!

Hey, don''t forget to visit my page... by clicking here!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement